94-95 Octane Plug

JNT

SCCoA Member
Can someone tell me which one of these is the octane plug?

Thanks,
Joe

94sc-octane-plug.JPG

Thanks. I knew there were 2 an octane spout and an octane plug. I just wasn't 100% clear on which was which.

Joe

Technically, one is an octane plug which backs of the running timing 4 or 5 degrees or something like that. Actually adjustable with a tuner chip etc.

The other you pull which shuts off ALL timing advance so you can set base timing with a timing light, which I think is 10 degrees.

If you plan to pull the octane plug so you can run reg unleaded, its not worth it. Your gas consumption will go up so in the long run it'll cost you more, plus the fact you lose quite alot of power. I stripped one motor where a guy had done that, and the carbon build up was flaking off the top of the pistons.

number one, captain... but i wonder why there are two.. there isnt an extra on mine. :confused:

Is yours a 94-95? The plug #2 was hidden on mine before I moved it to take the picture.

If you plan to pull the octane plug so you can run reg unleaded, its not worth it. Your gas consumption will go up so in the long run it'll cost you more, plus the fact you lose quite alot of power. I stripped one motor where a guy had done that, and the carbon build up was flaking off the top of the pistons.

No that is not why I want to pull it. However that's good to know. I'm having some pinging and I'm trying to prevent damage untill I can get the problem solved.

Joe

Last edited:
Ford put that octange plug in to cover the times you had to drop some reg in it cause prem wasn't available where your at.

Ford put that octange plug in to cover the times you had to drop some reg in it cause prem wasn't available where your at.

Don't people use this if they buy gas in a city at a high altitude such as Denver. Wouldn't it work equally well in my case since even with 93 I'm experiencing some pinging.

Joe

Personally, I'd be trying hard to find out what is causing the pinging. These cars are ok to run 91 octane fuel.

What spark plugs do you have installed and what are they gapped at?

Right, I'm not considering pulling the plug to be a solution. Just trying not to do damage while I figure out the problem. This car is still relatively new to me. I bought it knowing there were some issues and have only driven it occasionally.

The car seems to have a vac leak and I also am having EGR issues. Here is the thread on my EGR problem.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91996

Joe

Acording to my Ford manual, the two red wire one is the SPOUT. I've been running with the OTHER one out and it did NOT set a code. I believe if I was running w/o SPOUT, I,d get a SES light.

Acording to my Ford manual, the two red wire one is the SPOUT. I've been running with the OTHER one out and it did NOT set a code. I believe if I was running w/o SPOUT, I,d get a SES light.
You are correct and the above response is incorrect. The Octane plug is the one with green and grey wires and is the one next to the EDIS. Both plugs will set a code but I'm not sure if they will both trigger the CEL or not.

You can wire a switch for your octane plug, So if you are running crummy gas during the week you dont have to get out and open the hood every time
(also shows you how much power can be gained or lossd by timming alone):eek:

Back