89-93 clutch with 94-95 flexplate

T-bird4vr

Can you use this combo or do I need an older style flywheel? I keep seeing conflicting results.

Thanks J

Last edited:
It will work. I'm pretty sure that flywheels are all same on 89-95,just the clutch changed in 94-95 models.

i think both clutches and flywheels were 11" from 89-93 and went to 11.5" for 94/5. but i think that combo will work for you.

goin with the early style cuz its cheaper ?;) :D

Last edited:
The early clutch will not fit on a late model flywheel. The parts store sent me the clutch for a 93 for my 94 and it wouldnt bolt to the flywheel. Early and late flywheels do interchange.

I'm confused. Could you repeat that again please? You state the flywheels are interchangable yet an early model (93 and below) clutch won't bolt to the late model flywheel.

If memory servesd Steve Webb was able to use a 94-95 clutch on his early model SC.

I assume you are saying the pressure plate won't mate with the flywheel but I am confused as to why?????

I saw an old 05 post from Ricardo1 that he put a dual friction centerforce on his 94 and it wouldn't disengage so he had to pull it.

They don't make the dual friction for a 94-95 (11.5") but in other posts it sounds like it should work. I'll try to buy a scrapped <93 flywheel if needed, but if I don't have to I won't.

I do not want to have to pull the tranny again to find out lol

Early and late clutch assemblys are different diameters,hence wont match up to dissimilar flywheels.The fly wheels are interchangeable between early and late engines. Hope that clears it up. I am running a 94 clutch and flywheel on a 91 engine.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was asking if he could use a 89-93 clutch assembly with a 94-95 flexplate... I thought the flexplate was something that only Automatics used. Reading the responses, I gather that you can use a flexplate in place of a flywheel?? I have to disagree...

The early (89-93) flywheel is different from the late (94-95) flywheel. Both flywheels will bolt up to any SC Engine and any SC M5R2 transmission. However the early flywheel uses an 11" clutch as was previously stated and the late flywheels use an 11.5" clutch.

SO if you have an early flywheel you HAVE to use an 11" clutch. AND if you have a late flywheel you HAVE to use an 11.5" clutch.

If you are going to go with a Center Force DF clutch the only way to do so is to get an early style flywheel since it only comes in an 11" clutch.

Chris

OK...again Steve Webb reported being able to use the 11.5" 94-95 Centerforce II Clutch as a bolt-on for his early model (I think 90...5 speed car) clutch and I am now wondering how he was able to do it if what everyone here is saying is correct.

Simple he has to be using a late model flywheel or had the flywheel redrilled and tapped to accept the lagger pressure plate. Or someone put a late model flywheel in the car possibly before he got the car. I have personally checked the parts books and the parts shelf the clutches are deffinatly different.It is possible that the aftermarket is made to fit both early and late cars. But I dont see how or why.

My early style SPEC aluminum 89-93 flywheel won't work with stock 95 pressure plate.

Stock 95 flywheel with stock 95 pressure plate

Spec early 89-93 pressure plate with stock 95 flywheel

Spec early flywheel and pressure plate

Spec early 89-93 flywheel with 95 stock pressure plate

I thought that all 89-95 stock flywheels were same because my stock 95 flywheel has early ford part #

I don't know about CenterForce clutches; but I put a '94 (11.5") LUK oem replacement clutch on my stock '93 flywheel ok. I couldn't easily find a new '94 flywheel (stupid supplier sent me one from the older Turbo Coupe), so I just got the old flywheel resurfaced (at PepBoys can you believe) and they did a nice job, just had to pull the pins out of the flywheel before putting it on the lathe.

From the dead.

It seems we cannot agree on this, Can someone post part #s of an earlier flywheel. My experience was based on not machining the flywheel. Maybe if I did machine it the outcome would have been different. But I only thought I would need machining if I went to the larger clutch but I went from big to small so the surface area should have been worn and grooved for the smaller clutch.

I did get an early flywheel for the dual friction clutch but I didn't check any part #'s on the flywheel. I am having problems with the clutch fully disengaging but I thought it was just air in the hydraulic lines.

Is there a special throw out bearing I need to use with this clutch?

So you going to sell me your hood or what???

Did you resurface the flywheel? If so you were supposed to shim the Throw out bearing to make up the difference. Maybe that could be your problem. But I did not resurface mine, thats why I dont know what the problem was, I just figured it was the Dual Friction clutch.

One thing I noticed while I was looking up clutch stuff...Is that Spec sells the same part # for the flywheel for earlier and later cars. Meaning that the Aluminum flywheels are all 11.5" but you can still bolt on the smaller clutch.

So with that the MCleod alumunum flywheel '11.5" insert' that I have should be able to be outfitted with both the 11" clutch and the 11.5" and not have any effects. I think we can put this mystery to rest if the early flywheel is the same part # as the later ones. :D

And that also means I can bolt on a DF clutch 11" on my 11.5" flywheel. :D
And Ill chuck my past problems on install error or something.:eek:

Ya, I need to shim it. I was actually thinking about that last night. Do you know where I can source some shimes? Hell, at this point I might ditch trying to shim it and just put in a new AL flywheel if that will solve it.

Back