Bad JMod chip, or Bad EEC?

SCandelous95

So, i just recently had to replace my EEC (PCM). thanks to Ddubb for the part...and everything runs fine now.

i did have the Jmod (Jerry's Injectech tuning chip) on my old EEC for a couple years with no problems. car started to run like crap and throwing lots of codes, so turns out the EEC needed to be replaced. Well, i did, and i drove it for several days without the chip connected to make sure the EEC ran fine by itself., and it did. So, this morning i pulled the EEC and put the chip back on. Car cant even start now, like its getting no fuel or something. so i pull the chip off and it runs fine.

so, obviously im guessing the chip is toast. but im curious about the situation now.

Can the chip fry the EEC if the chip went bad? hence my toasted old one?

could the old EEC on the fritz have killed my chip? hence not working on the new EEC?

trying to figure out if the chips CAN go bad, or if it was the EEC...?

any ideas?

I had a similar situation with my EEC Tuner and I ended up swapping in a newer EEC (newer as in time stamp on the circuit board) and all has been great since even with the tuner in it. The difference this time is the fact I polished the J3 connectors right down to copper instead of leaving the tin on it. I suspect my original EEC still works fine, but its a bit of a pain to swap those around so I'm a leaving it.

You probably have dirty contacts like mentioned above. Did you clean the grease off with rubbing alcohol before installing the chip ???

Do not take it down to the copper, just clean off the grease from the port and the chip. If it doesnt work after cleaning it, take it back off and clean it again.

There is no upgrade for the PCM I sent you, the 94/95 are the same Calibration. The chip was made for the catch code on your PCM - R2D4, it wont work on other PCM's. If the PCM works good without the chip, the PCM is not the problem - the one I sent you is a Ford Reman unit, so it is probably not the original circuit board.

The Inject Tech chip is an older single bank chip, so the chip relies on the PCM, unlike newer 4 bank chips that run completely off the chip.

It is very unlikely that the chip caused your previous PCM to fail.

- Dan

Last edited:
I'd take it to the copper as there will be less resisitance. Most forums dealing with tuning will tell you to do the same thing. The tin coating is not regular solder, but is a coating to prevent corrosion.

How come going to the copper made my system run better? In fact, I just swapped in my old EEC again for curiosity and I'm having no problem with it.

Back