cooling fan problem?

stempak

the fans work I've swapped the control module(ircm) behind the passenger head light. I've replaced one of the 2 temp. sensors. There's 2 correct? but it still doesn't work threw the computer. I have it hard wired but I want it correct flipping a switch get's old?

It's a 90sc

How do I check the fuseable link(yellow wire correct?) off the starter silanoid? cut the heatshrink that says fuseablelink?

Also should there be constant power going to the fans? If so I don't think there is.

Last edited:
The IRCM routes power to the fan in response to a signal from the EEC. The temperature sensor that is on the hose running to the intake manifold is the onethat tells the EEC what the coolant temperature is. (right by the cam sensor).

Does your AC work? If so you can start the car with the AC ON...test for voltage at the power connector to see if it is coming through the IRCM. If not back up and see if it is coming to the IRCM from the fusible link.

With the AC on the low speed fan should run. Power is coming to the fan from the IRCM on the Brown with yellow striped wires. Power is coming into the IRCM via the Black with Orange striped wire and should be hot all the time. The fusible link feeding the fan circuit is the 16 guage link that has the yellow wire running from it. Should be black in color. Don't run the car too long without the fan on and the AC running or you may blow the AC Charge via the pressure relief valve on the AC Compressor.

You may have a combo problem. If the fan motor crapped out it often draws so much current it also blows the fusible link.

ac is currently down. the fans both work. I will check the fusable link in the morning. I don't think there is power in the system. I think it might be the link.

Last edited:
Can still check if you have power intothe IRCM as noted since the incoming wire is supposed to be hot all the time.

Theyare technically in parallel. The EEC sends its signal to the IRCM to pick up a relay which shunts electrical power to the fan. The electrical power is coming from the fuseible link.

The whole system came up good! I was still getting no fans!? So I checked the pin on the power going into the ircm harness and there was no power.....
So I wiggled it a little bit and it came to life. So if any one has a good fuseable link good sensors that is most likely what it is. I just saved 500+plus dollars but was the cause of a 800 head job. But got the heads rebuilt and fixed a vac leak aswell.:)

That's great to hear. One of these days I've been meaning to pickup a can of spray contact enhancer. They sell it at Radio Shack. I want to clean all the harness connections, then enhance them.

Back