starter/solenoid removal

rzibilske77

how many bolts is there holding the starter on.
Does it have to be removed to reach the solenoid...i need to replace mine.

2 bolts hold the starter to the engine/ transmission, 2 wires are connected to the starter, one is held on with a nut, and the other should be a terminal that slides on. I would suggest disconnecting the battery before attempting to remove it.

thanks for the replies guys, i crawled under there this morning, i started to remove it and some of those connections just crumbled in my hand..........so there lies one of my problems if not it definately needed attn.
its the original motorcraft one still on there....what can i do to *freshen it up* since it seems no one has touched it.

Don't forget that the starter bolts are not metric......:rolleyes:

Use a 6 point socket to remove them.....
Oh. well no wonder my 13mm socket slips over those bolts while my 1/2" fits like a glove. For that matter, a 1/2" socket works well on those tough to turn transmission housing bolts which you DON'T want to be rounding off. I've spent too much time looking up at transmissions. :rolleyes:

thanks for the replies guys, i crawled under there this morning, i started to remove it and some of those connections just crumbled in my hand..........so there lies one of my problems if not it definately needed attn.
its the original motorcraft one still on there....what can i do to *freshen it up* since it seems no one has touched it.
Clean/snug up the spade/tab connector. This connector is notorious for getting grimey and loose. When that happens, you turn the key and.... nothing.. :cool:

Clean/snug up the spade/tab connector. This connector is notorious for getting grimey and loose. When that happens, you turn the key and.... nothing.. :cool:

yes the tab connector is bare metal now...the plastic completely crumbled in my hand.
i do get the no-nothing start ever now and again...mostly it turns over with no fire.

Back