95 5Speed Radiator Fan Speed Discussion

rickbtbird

I've got a 1995 5speed. I'd like to understand when the radiator puller fan is supposed to come on low and high speed.

I did a koeo test and the fan spun on both speeds during the checkout.

With the motor running the fan's low speed doesn't appear to kick on until the A/C is turned on.

The fan's high speed seems to come on when the engine gets to about the "M" on the temperature gage.

There's a pusher fan on the front, I thought was suppose to be for the A/C.

Last edited:
The pusher comes on with temperature NOT speed dependant and so does the puller fan. The puller will also run when the AC is on below (if memory serves) 46 mph. It starts in slow and shifts to high at a certain temp.....around 215 again if memory serves.

Had to re-read your question hense te edit....sorry

The pusher comes on with temperature NOT speed dependant and so does the puller fan. The puller will also run when the AC is on below (if memory serves) 46 mph. It starts in slow and shifts to high at a certain temp.....around 215 again if memory serves.

Had to re-read your question hense te edit....sorry

If that's the case then this newer fan that I just got from jludorf is good! :) Thanks for the info.
Typos in the last line of my first message was the result of being tired last night. Thanks for pointing that out.

Pusher fan

Hey guys.
Do either of you know when the front fan is supposed to turn on?
My 94 5-speed has been running hotter than usual recently.
Does the front fan turn on during the KOEO test?
My fan doesn't. The rear puller fan works fine.
It usually runs around the O or R in NORM on the temp gauge.
Lately it hase been around the M and just past.
So far it has not overheated.
Thanx
Bill

I have a 94 auto

My puller fan is one from a 94 LX with a Lx radiator as its longer, It does block my intercooler as well but with the low speed fan wire cut so its on all the time I rarely see it creep up past the N, with the fan set to auto/stock temps it usuall sits around N. My question though is when the car is up to temp and driven for a good 15 min normally, does everyones radiator hose feel like a tennis ball? hard but will give under squeeze as I always fearfull of a 3rd Head gasket job, this 94 has been good so far, doesnt get hard till the thermostat opens a few times. I'd love to tell ya about the pusher fan but I seems to have cracked the magnets on it when giving it some force by hand as it was rusted.

To answer that question in a word YES since the sytem is and should be under pressure when the engine is warm. Pressure (up to a point) is good as it raises the boiling point of the coolant.

Low speed puller comes on when temp is at 220 or ac is turned on and goes off at 217 and above 45 mph.

The high speed comes on at 228 and goes off at 226 and above 96mph.

fan

Glad to here you got the fan. It was from my 94 that I just installed the front mount on so I was 100% positive it was good. It should keep you cool:)

John

Back