PowerMaster 200 Amp Alternator

Flex

Here's the problem. I installed one in my car last night. These mothers are larger than the stocker so I had to modify the bracket a little by grinding away two sections.

After finally bolting it in place I start the engine to have the battery warning light come on. I looked at the two alternators side by side. The 3 pin connector rests in the same place but the power post is up and to the right of the connector vs the stock down and to the left. There is also another single pin socket to the right of the connector on the new alternator between the 3 pin harness and the post.

Has anyone used one of these? Any idea why the warning light is on? Could it be related to the empty pin connector?

It sounds like you have thw same problem that I do. My alternator is a 200 amp 3G from Mr. Alternator. It charges just fine, but the light stays on all the time.

Ice,
Mine seems to work fine too as the lights barely dimmed at idle with a 3.5 inch alternator pulley on but that damn light is on. Does yours have that single empty post as well?

Yes it does, but I do not know what it is for. Maybe some who has installed a 3G on the SC can be of some help with this. I know George has one on his car.

Here is a pic of my 3G - mounted and wired.

The middle blue wire (harness is from a 94) goes from the plug over to the alternators single connector.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
What I remember is that it supplies 12V to the stator?? Normally the blue wire is terminated within the cable - so it actually went to nothing. I just pulled it out of the cable and connected it to the single terminal on the alternator. Look at your cars wiring diagram and you will see what is going on.

Good luck
Mike

That single pin connector you can get from advance autoparts is the field wire it connects to the white with black stripe wire coming from the big 3 terminal plug I didnt have to put one on my car 94's already have the 3G but I did do the swap on my 1983 mustang GT thats is why your light stays on I bet

Just looked, my 91 only has two wires. The center wire is blank in my harness to the alternator.

Hey guys a little more info. I only have two wires with the center slot in the connector having a plug. So there is no middle blue wire or a white with a black stripe.

Should I connector the center point to the empty connector slot?

On a 1993sc, there are 3 connections to the Alternator.
Wire #38 is Black with an orange stripe and carries the 12v, and has a gray fusable link along the harness somewhere.
This wire is connected to the rectifier.
Wire #36 is Yellow with a White stripe, and is 12v and It has a Blue fusable link somewhere.
This wire is connected to terminal A on the alternator that comes from the regulator.
Wire 904 is LightGreen with a Red stripe and is connected to the Dash Warning Indicator for the Alternator.
It is connected to the I terminal on the alternator that is connected to the regulator.

I think the problem is you dont have the 94 and up 3G alternator plug...your stock one will not work Mike8675309 should have you str8 on what wires go where now you just need the right plugs

Mike,

My car is a 91. I do not have the center wire. How would I go about adapting a later harness to my current harness or can I?

Mike,

My car is a 91. I do not have the center wire. How would I go about adapting a later harness to my current harness or can I?

I know that the alternator and wiring on my 90 is exactly the same as the one on my 93, so I think if you are missing a wire, that may be a problem. Was the alternator you removed a Mitsubishi brand alternator? Maybe someone already converted it to something else.

SuperXR7,

Look at the pictures in the link blown94 posted. The alternators are different. While my harness plugs in, my battery warning light does not go out.

Mike,

No the alternator on my car is the same as my brother's 92 and any other SC I have seen. My harness just has a white plastic plug where the center wire in the connector should be.

I am going to go and have a look at my bro's 92 and see what his harness looks like.

Back