AOD Swap compatability

osucarguy

I've got a 93 5.0 with a burnt out AOD. I know the SC aod would work great, but I can't find an affordable one in my area. Will the aod that is in a N/A 3.8 work? Or would it be too weak? My O/D went out and I have considered rebuilding the trans myself, but have never messed with transmissions, engines fine, transmissions no. Is this an extremely hard rebuild and do you guys have any advice on what parts to use if I go this route.Thanks in advance for the help.

The 3.8 AOD would work, but without the "A" OD servo, I would expect it not to hold up if you drove it very hard.

An AOD rebuild is much easier that an engine rebuild but you need a manual and a set of lip seal compressor sleeves. You have to follow the directions in the books very close as the tolerances are critical. Everything must be cleaned so that not so much as the tiniest crumb of a metal shaving is left inside. Also, install an inline filter after the cooler return line, and a rebuilt or new converter, and you might have a good rebuild. Consider having the valve body overhauled at a trans shop as it can cause no end of troubles if its not done right, again.. cleanliness is the issue. Rebuild kits are available from a number of places for around $100.

Is this "A" od servo hard to change? Or does it require basic disassembly of the trans? I'm just trying to find the cheapest way to fix my car so it runs good. It's gonna cost me $800 to have it rebuilt, but I don't have that much money, and I can't find a good AOD in salvage yard worth buying. Thanks

I have decided that a stock transmission from anything is worthless. They are all at the very best 15 years old. Just build it or have it built.
Now carry on with the discussion abiout which year make and model is best swap a few and get mad at em.
Alan

Back