PDA

View Full Version : Dead bird in my yard...

jleopold
09-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey...

I'm in trouble guys....

Redster is really, really hurt. Last week I went to take my son to school... started her up and the car ran rough .... REALLY bad...

Got back home and the car was overheating. So I thought it was a thermostat...

fixed the the thermo and started her up...

Running really rought and water was coming out of the middle rear of the car and the exhaust... and steam was coming from the front left passenger area... under the left shock tower after the car warmed up...

Does anyone know what sort of sickness this is ????

and I mean ALOT OF WATER coming out of the exhaust pipes and mid car section just behind the two front seats aroudn the back seat area... oh... lots of smoke / steam when you rev it...

GONE14S
09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I think you allready know it's a blown head gasket.........!

Kurt

Ddubb
09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Head gaskets .... :rolleyes:

Driving with blown gaskets can wipe out your bearings on the lower half of the engine too ..

So whats the plan for this one ? You going to spend over $1000 to fix it ? Or sell it for next to nothing ? These cars arent worth much, even less with blown HG's.
Pick up another SC ? Or get out of Tbirds alltogether ?

- Dan

Miller
09-24-2007, 05:05 PM
spend over $1k to fix it? not even close. headstuds, gaskets, some new o2's and some time.. fix it for Under $300 FTW

Ddubb
09-24-2007, 05:18 PM
That depends on who is doing the labor.

If you want to go cheap, do it yourself, forget the head studs, just do bolts, and get new gaskets .. forget checking the heads for flatness .. just slap them on and wait for it to blow again.

Personally, id have the heads re-worked while they are off the car, surfaced to a nice finish, angle job on the valves, new stem seals, MLS gaskets, ARP head studs, etc .. youre already up to $600 not including labor, couple oil changes to get the water out, more coolant, etc ..

John are you up to doing the job ??

- Dan

jleopold
09-25-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm so spent on cars ...

My 98 blazer -- replacing the heater core right now... whole dash is off the car...

My 90 SC... has blood and gutz in the street.

I had to borrow my mother-in-laws car ( a 95 V8 Cougar) to get some sort of traveling done.

Okay... I'm done crying...
If you guys say that I can do it myself... then I'm good for that.
At this point...I'd loose out by selling it and be heart broken... I love my Red Head.

So... for now I'm out of commission until I get her in the garage and prepped for rebuild...

Is there a book or instructions out there for me to look up ?
And... since I have all that stuff off... I might as well detail the engine and everything

So... somebody make me a shopping list please...

jleopold
09-25-2007, 02:26 AM
How much is it if I just pull it apart and buy new heads ?
and is that something you can get at Summit ?

None2Slow
09-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Try here for a set.

http://www.spinningwheels-sc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=51660

Ddubb
09-25-2007, 06:51 AM
How much you do want to spend ?

And how long do you think it will take to finish ?

- Dan

txsc
09-25-2007, 03:25 PM
...somebody make me a shopping list please...

Just saw your thread, and thought this might help. I did one of my cars earlier this year, and made a parts list with costs for anyone who could benefit. See the attached post:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86529&highlight=head+gasket+parts+list

The parts list is about half way down.

Good Luck!

JD