raised top I made - * 6 pics *

T

tbird88

raised top I made - * 6 pics *

Messed around with an extra top I had, this is what I came up with. TIG welded it on Friday, drove to the drags at Fun Ford Weekend in Baytown on Saturday, made 5 passes then drove home.
Car is an 89 automatic at 3960lbs (driver & 1/4 tank fuel).
Best ET with the raised-top, K&N 7" cone, and an intercooler fan was 15.56 with a 60' of 2.29, enough to hang with a stock 5spd.

Still needs a little cleanup but I'm very happy with the results, top is raised 1" on the passengerside & 3/4" on the driverside and installed with original-length bolts. The white gasket under the base in the 6th pic is a Teflon gasket I make as are the ones on all intercooler pipe connections.
As seen in the 5th pic, the bottleneck is history. Original geometry with the upper IC tube connection was kept. Upper tube is only rolled slightly at the upper connection on the intercooler and keeps the same geometry there also. I could bevel the mounting lug on the underside of the tube so it could be used but didn't because I work on my car so much.

thanks fer lookin', 'bird

ps: sorry for the cross-post...I'm that happy with it.

step3_2006.jpg

step3_2026.jpg

step4_2096.jpg

step4_2106.jpg

step4_2116.jpg

step4_2146.jpg

Re: raised top I made - * 6 pics *

Nice job.

David

Re: raised top I made - * 6 pics *

Nice work, Wynn!

Cheers,
Calvin

Holy thread resurrection Batman! Over 2 years old :D

Wynn - that top looks sweet.

-Andy "Melon"

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbird88 said:
Messed around with an extra top I had, this is what I came up with. TIG welded it on Friday, drove to the drags at Fun Ford Weekend in Baytown on Saturday, made 5 passes then drove home.
Best ET with the raised-top, K&N 7" cone, and an intercooler fan was 15.56 with a 60' of 2.29, enough to hang with a stock 5spd.

Still needs a little cleanup but I'm very happy with the results, top is raised 1" on the passengerside & 3/4" on the driverside and installed with original-length bolts. The white gasket under the base in the 6th pic is a Teflon gasket I make as are the ones on all intercooler pipe connections.
As seen in the 5th pic, the bottleneck is history. Original geometry with the upper IC tube connection was kept. Upper tube is only rolled slightly at the upper connection on the intercooler and keeps the same geometry there also. I could bevel the mounting lug on the underside of the tube so it could be used but didn't because I work on my car so much.

ps: sorry for the cross-post...I'm that happy with it. :eek: :eek: GREAT JOB

& AQRE YOU SAYING THE IC TUBE NEEDS NO CHANGE ON IT :confused: :confused: IF SO THAT IS REALLY GOOD :cool: :cool:

Wow, those were the good ol' days.

ThunderRoad said:
GREAT JOB & AQRE YOU SAYING THE IC TUBE NEEDS NO CHANGE ON IT :confused: :confused: IF SO THAT IS REALLY GOOD :cool: :cool:
As mentioned, the lug on the upper tube can be beveled slightly but I don't do it. You can snug the mounting nut on the lug instead of tightening the snot out've it and it'll do just fine. Me, I usually just cut the lug off of the upper tube.

Also...since I miter my tops, all the fittings line up.

'bird

Melon, thanks for the compliment but I've come a long way since then... :D

slpy8626.jpg

bs8546.jpg

tbird88 said:
Me, I usually just cut the lug off of the upper tube.

I assume everyone knows that the stud that goes through that upper tube can be removed very easily. Like the ones that go into the intercooler, a little 5mm (or maybe the 5.5, can't recall) socket will back that stud right out and never be a problem again. No hacking on the aluminum tubes necessary.

Nice job Wynn. I never liked thick base that most use to raise top. I did the same on my top, added 1.5 and kept the orignal base

Attachments

• Top2.jpg
    Top2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 421
kenewagner said:
Nice job Wynn. I never liked thick base that most use to raise top. I did the same on my top, added 1.5 and kept the orignal base

Are you guys selling these tops? E-mail me if you are. These look very nice.'

Jerry

T BIRD 88 Now there is a way to put that extra air you made with your blower hat,Into the motor.You want to do some parts swappin?The plenum & manifold is wider,with a 3" IC tube to match.Stock plenum is 2.44".
and

RANDY

Last edited:
Randy N Connie said:
T BIRD 88 Now there is a way to put that extra air you made with your blower hat,Into the motor.You want to do some parts swappin?The plenum & manifold is wider,with a 3" IC tube to match.Stock plenum is 2.44".
and

RANDY
That's sharp as all getout and sure do appreciate the offer but I've got some pretty ridiculous parts of my own comin' together. It's killin' me to wait on doin' my one-offs but I'm tryin' to finish off the last few diff mounts and a raised top I hafta do...then it's Katie bar the door.

'bird

intercooled89xr said:
hey tbird88 looks nice is that what im going to be getting looks real nice keep up the good work talk to u soon.
Except for the powdercoating that's how yours is being done. Haven't moved my powder stuff down to Koko's, he keeps nudgin' me to do it but ain't been successful yet. Your base is almost slicked out and the upper section is sittin' there already cut & ready. Gotta trim the base a little and build the throat and then TIG and slick the whole piece, then it's yours.

Sure wish I had a day with absolutely nuthin' to do (dream on), I'd visit my old buddies across town and bring your base with me to see what kinda $ I'd be lookin' at for CNC'n a few of these out. It'd be very cool to have a stack of bases sittin' in the cabinet, would save me a ton of hand-machining. Yes, all of my parts are done by hand, hope to streamline at least SUMTHIN' in the near future...

'bird

Can you do another.....just like the other

I am sure you have requests for these coming out of the wazoo. Can you handle another. Let me know, timeline and price. Thanks

tbird88 said:

ps: sorry for the cross-post...I'm that happy with it.

step3_2006.jpg

step3_2026.jpg

step4_2096.jpg

step4_2106.jpg

step4_2116.jpg

step4_2146.jpg

Back