Transmission problems.... OD gone?

Odd is he

Just bought myself a 1990 SC last week, so I'm very new to the SC world. I bought this sc off of a buddy who was looking to buy it and sell it quickly for a quick profit, but that never worked out. So I took it off his hands for the price he payed for it.

So here's the story, or atleast what I've been told. The transmission was great untill my buddy hoped on the highway on his way home after buying the SC. Apparently he was gunning it on the highway in OD and a "high speed", then it made a "weird" noise, and didnt engage into 4th gear, and still won't till this day.:mad:

I was told that 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear are "built up", and 4th was left alone. :confused:

Any one ever encounter a problem like this? any suggestion on what to look for or to do?

Thanks,
Neil

99% sure its rebuild time. IF you keep driving it, which you shouldn't, then 3rd will go out on you soon to.

So rebuild, or find a replacement AOD, or convert to a 5 speed.

ATW Transmissions in Agawam, MA, they are doing a rebuild on my 89 tranny. They have done many SC's before mine and are good. You should look em up.

Last edited:
O wait nevermind, didn't realize it would be a 2 hour drive for you....Only 5min. for me.

I didn't know stamfor was all the way in the complete bottom left corner! :D

well i just got to add one thing....

i drove my sc without od for like 8-10months no probs just didnt have od

I'm probally going to do the same thing, if anything happens, I still have my wrangler to drive...

I think i might find myself a spare trans, and just send that one off to be rebuilt/built up, and then swap it in when the time comes around

If your driving that car any kind of hard, that 3rd ain't gonna last either. Its very rare it doesn't happen when OD goes out, because now your pumping all that garbage through everything which means everything will need replacing, such as TC, rad, and tranny cooler if you have one.

I've seen some guys lose OD and by the time they got home an hour later 3rd is gone.

Next day, 2nd and 1st disappears as well.

If your driving that car any kind of hard, that 3rd ain't gonna last either. Its very rare it doesn't happen when OD goes out, because now your pumping all that garbage through everything which means everything will need replacing, such as TC, rad, and tranny cooler if you have one.

I've seen some guys lose OD and by the time they got home an hour later 3rd is gone.

Next day, 2nd and 1st disappears as well.

oh i feel ya man but i was just giving my case

and i drove the ~~~~~ out of my sc all day ever day wot :)

So your suggesting this guy should do the same... and be left stranded somewhere cause he wasn't so lucky?

Your cruel.

i did not tell him to do so

i was just saying it lasted long for me i did not say anywhere to him to think its gonna last i was just giving my case and that it lasted for me

Back