Where is this strange sound coming from..? ( A video link inside..! )

Sampo

Hello!

This is from my friend's '90 Xr7. It has a brand new Eaton m90, a mildly ported. The car runs great but you can hear a weird sound coming from...where? From blower? Or from motor? If you listen well you can hear this "rough sound"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABEcrk84Ag

Tell me your opinion.

Thanks already!

Sami

sounds like a coupler solid ones make noise also rotor pack bearings can wear and make rotors touch look for scratches on rotors where they mesh towards front of blower just remove top to look down vee

Hello!

This is from my friend's '90 Xr7. It has a brand new Eaton m90, a mildly ported. The car runs great but you can hear a weird sound coming from...where? From blower? Or from motor? If you listen well you can hear this "rough sound"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABEcrk84Ag

Tell me your opinion.

Thanks already!

Sami

sounds like a coupler solid ones make noise also rotor pack bearings can wear and make rotors touch look for scratches on rotors where they mesh towards front of blower just remove top to look down vee

But this is a brand new supercharger...never has been on the car. Is it possible that it won't work properly? Yes, I know everything is possible but still I wonder...:confused:

But this is a brand new supercharger...never has been on the car. Is it possible that it won't work properly? Yes, I know everything is possible but still I wonder...:confused:

Brand new or freshly rebuilt ? Sounds like it's got a solid coupler, or the bypass valve is closed. Check and make sure the vacuum hose is attached to the bypass valve acuator and that the valve moves to the open position after starting the motor and goes to the closed position when motor is turned off.

David

Sounds like mine ...

Yeah, it's like you can actually hear the gears meshing. Not a good sound.

My supercharger sounds like yours.

The cam I have in my '90 SC makes the engine lope, so there's a constant loading and unloading of the rotor pack at an idle. That makes the supercharger sound something like it's polishing rocks. The sound fades down under throttle.

I have a '94 supercharger, it's been ported, has a solid coupler, Pontiac GTP rotor pack and 15 percent overdrive between the jackshaft and supercharger pulleys. I took the supercharger top off not too long ago and there was no issue with the rotors touching. The sound is a bit annoying. It’s just a noisy rotor pack.

I forgot to put oil in the supercharger for about 10 miles one time. When you do that, the bearings will sing, or maybe scream is a more appropriate metaphor, with a very high pitched whine.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Brand new or freshly rebuilt ? Sounds like it's got a solid coupler, or the bypass valve is closed. Check and make sure the vacuum hose is attached to the bypass valve acuator and that the valve moves to the open position after starting the motor and goes to the closed position when motor is turned off.

David

A brand new...

My supercharger sounds like yours.

The cam I have in my '90 SC makes the engine lope, so there's a constant loading and unloading of the rotor pack at an idle. That makes the supercharger sound something like it's polishing rocks. The sound fades down under throttle.

I have a '94 supercharger, it's been ported, has a solid coupler, Pontiac GTP rotor pack and 15 percent overdrive between the jackshaft and supercharger pulleys. I took the supercharger top off not too long ago and there was no issue with the rotors touching. The sound is a bit annoying. It’s just a noisy rotor pack.

I forgot to put oil in the supercharger for about 10 miles one time. When you do that, the bearings will sing, or maybe scream is a more appropriate metaphor, with a very high pitched whine.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Ok, good to know. We were just wondering what is wrong with the new supercharger...

David

The problem solved!:)

David N. was right. The vacuum hose wasn't attached to the bypass valve actuator.

Once again this great forum helped us! It's wonderful that we have this place for these cars. For guys like us who lives overseas this is "must"! Thanks for everyone!:cool:

Sami

Back