Anyone got a line on cobra rear hubs?

blown94cougar

Im doing the conversion 5x4 1/4" to 5x4 1/2" and was wondering if anyone knows where to get a set of rear hubs besides ford? also is there any stock drums that will work or discs that will work with the cobra rear hubs and stock brake set-up? mine are drum brakes but I could switch to discs if need be.

Switch to disks. I got the full cobra conversion on both my SC's. Bought my hubs (ford parts) new in box off ebay. Need to be from a 99 cobra ast they are 28 spline..Stock SC rear brakes will work with an adapter for caliper relocation or you can use the complete stang setup minus e brake cable

all cobra hubs 99-04 are 28 spline on the hub end, the carrier end of the axle on the cobra irs is 31 spline. you can use your stock brake setup in the rear just get your rotors or drums redrilled or upgrade to the cobra rotors and buy the caliper relocation brackets from "fasted "

Ford Racing Perf. Parts sells the hubs for a reasonable price under p/n M-1109-A. Cheaper than buying them under the OEM p/n YR3Z 1109 AA.

Get some disc knuckles and do the conversion while you're at it. I'm not aware of any off the shelf 5 on 4.5" pattern drums that would be a direct fit for this.

cheers
Ed N.

www.breezeautomotive.com sells parts for Cobra kit cars and they've actually got a pretty good selection of stuff we typically need/want...Cobra hubs f/r, 93-97 MN12 rear calipers, hub retaining nuts, aluminum pumpkins, disc brake knuckles, stuff like that. I've ordered from them and I can't say whether it's the absolute cheapest place on the web but they were good guys to deal with.

back when i did the conversion on my 94sc a couple of years ago i paid $75 a piece for the rear hubs, now i think the going price is about $150 a piece. I just recently found a pair of used ones that cost me $110, saving them in case i do the hub swap on my 89sc. checked out the site listed above and they list them for $92 a piece, good price these days.

Last edited:
I bought some June 2006 on the TCCOA boards from:

Jason Preslar
Harrelson Ford
6700 South Blvd.
Charlotte N.C. 28210

Toll Free 1-800-992-3938

Cobra Rear Hub XR3Z-1109-AA $67.64 ea

Rear hub retainers $6.25 ea

plus shipping

Thanx Guys 2 more questions what do I do with the caged nuts on the front? do I take the cages off to remove the nuts? also who reused the front hub nuts? is it safe to just put some red loc-tite on them and stick'em back on?Im assuming the cages are so the bolts dont shatter ?

Thanx Guys 2 more questions what do I do with the caged nuts on the front? do I take the cages off to remove the nuts? also who reused the front hub nuts? is it safe to just put some red loc-tite on them and stick'em back on?Im assuming the cages are so the bolts dont shatter ?

just put on a big socket and long breaker bar and bust them loose. they say not to reuse the hub nuts but i applied some loctite thread sealer and 2 yrs later they're just as tight as the day i put them on, i'm sure i'll get blasted for that comment...lol

they say not to reuse the hub nuts but i applied some loctite thread sealer and 2 yrs later they're just as tight as the day i put them on, i'm sure i'll get blasted for that comment...lol

You reused them.......an angel lost a set of wings because of you :(

the cheapest rear hubs I have found are 150 each that is ridiculous anyone get there stockers redrilled ? was it that expensive how much did ya pay? theres no way im going to spend that for an extra 1/4" also found out you can use 04' ford escape front rotors on the rear on our cars with discs they are the same dimensions as the sc,lx rear discs but with the 5x4.5" lug pattern if anyone was thinking about doing this swap

I paid under that price for both brand new..You may just have to wait for a deal to pop up..Redrilling has been done but the hub centers will be different.

the cheapest rear hubs I have found are 150 each that is ridiculous anyone get there stockers redrilled ? was it that expensive how much did ya pay? theres no way im going to spend that for an extra 1/4" also found out you can use 04' ford escape front rotors on the rear on our cars with discs they are the same dimensions as the sc,lx rear discs but with the 5x4.5" lug pattern if anyone was thinking about doing this swap

If you think 150 each is expensive, then maybe you should consider dumping the car and getting something you can afford.

NOTHING is cheap on these cars.

Hubs is one of those things you don't want to cheap out on, considering how "important" they are to safety.

Post the question over on TCCoA under the "Ford Parts Counter" forum. They deal with the Ford dealer there (stated earlier in this thread)

Jason Preslar
Harrelson Ford
6700 South Blvd.
Charlotte N.C. 28210

Toll Free 1-800-992-3938

Have you verified that rotor swap? Somebody mentioned it here before. I took an Escape front rotor off the shelf here at the dealership and compared it to an MN-12 rear rotor ... the hat offset wasn't even close.

Also, it looks like the Cobra hub through FRPP (M 1109 A) has gone up in price now, $149.99 each retail. The same thing as an OEM Ford part, YR3Z 1109 AA, shows at $98.03 retail. You could probably get them for around $75 each or less from Jason at Harrelson Ford.

cheers
Ed N.

The same thing as an OEM Ford part, YR3Z 1109 AA, shows at $98.03 retail. You could probably get them for around $75 each or less from Jason at Harrelson Ford.

cheers
Ed N.

That is the same retail price Jason quoted me in June of 2006.

XR3Z-1109-AA $67.64 ea (retail $98.03 ea)

I have done the hub swap..... I have tried to point him in the right direction.

If you think 150 each is expensive, then maybe you should consider dumping the car and getting something you can afford.

NOTHING is cheap on these cars.

Hubs is one of those things you don't want to cheap out on, considering how "important" they are to safety.

I actually for what it is indeed think it is expensive I do not want to "dump" the car because of it either I have over 18k invested in it already most parts where custom made by me as well so 150 for 1 hub seems a bit excessive to me ...but like you said nothing on these cars are cheap and you are correct I guess I'll have to get'em anyone know why the Ford racing ones are more than the stock cobra ones? seems like the same part right? also the reason i asked about drilling the stockers is because I dont see the IRS staying in the car too much longer I am definetly swapping over to a solid axle 9" 4 link setup and Im trying not to waste money If Im not gonna be needing them coming next spring

Last edited:
Back