Potential Fuel Tank Problems - 94 Tbird SC

Bird of Prey 94

Slightly below half tank I get a faint ping. I push accelerator peddle vacuum needle goes up to zero and check engine light comes on. I release peddle and let it coast, and the light goes out, the car goes back to normal. Over the weekend I noticed the tank gauge goes to full when I knew it was about ¾ tank. It appears something is going in the tank, maybe it’s the gauge assembly, or the pump filter has dirt stuck in it. Not sure what it is, can you help!

Humm - that's kinda strange. First I'd download that CEL code and post the results. You could also try changing the fuel filter. Otherwise it sounds like a fuel pump problem. Early birds had 110 lph pumps, but 94's were upgraded to 125 lph. However, with only mild engine mods most people recommend a re-build kit to upgrade to 190lph or even 255 lph. Changing the pump is a bit of a pain, but it can be done by just lowering the tank some and tilting it to one side. When I did mine (if MN12 still has their web site operating you'll also find some good instructions for the changeover) I dropped the tank and cut a hole under the back seat for future access and also installed an alum. drive shaft while I had the access.

Back