PDA

View Full Version : Potential Fuel Tank Problems - 94 Tbird SC

Bird of Prey 94
09-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Slightly below half tank I get a faint ping. I push accelerator peddle vacuum needle goes up to zero and check engine light comes on. I release peddle and let it coast, and the light goes out, the car goes back to normal. Over the weekend I noticed the tank gauge goes to full when I knew it was about ĺ tank. It appears something is going in the tank, maybe itís the gauge assembly, or the pump filter has dirt stuck in it. Not sure what it is, can you help!

Joisey Jim
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Humm - that's kinda strange. First I'd download that CEL code and post the results. You could also try changing the fuel filter. Otherwise it sounds like a fuel pump problem. Early birds had 110 lph pumps, but 94's were upgraded to 125 lph. However, with only mild engine mods most people recommend a re-build kit to upgrade to 190lph or even 255 lph. Changing the pump is a bit of a pain, but it can be done by just lowering the tank some and tilting it to one side. When I did mine (if MN12 still has their web site operating you'll also find some good instructions for the changeover) I dropped the tank and cut a hole under the back seat for future access and also installed an alum. drive shaft while I had the access.