engine teardown

godavid

SCCoA Member
I'm replacing my sc block with another sc block because I messed up the head block holes. Can someone tell what size socket to use on the main bearing caps? A 13mm is too small and a 14mm is too big. Same problem when I tried 1/2in and 9/16in socket. Retapping the head bolt holes had too much risk for failure to it.
thanks

Don't know if you've started the tear down already but I recommended TimeSerts vs. helicoils as a perfect fix.
My buddy has a $450 kit just for the Ford Headbolts with a drill guide, taps, reamers and inserts.
I bet he would rent it out to you for a small fee and deposit and the inserts are cheap, he even has a few left.
He has built his motor up to redline at 6500-7000 and using stud girdle, H beam rods, FMIC, and anything else you can imagine to his block, then he figured out his head bolt holes were the same way as you describe.
His motor should put out around 370-400 hp and I have full confidence in the TimeSerts to perform as good as or better than a fresh hole.
Just another last minute recommendation before you do the new block.
Good luck

Use whatever fits to get the bolts off. I'm pretty sure I used a metric socket. Then replace them with ARP main studs.

You can pretty much be sure everything is metric on these cars if its orginal stuff, so you'd be better off getting the best fit metric socket. Don't take on the attitude like some have that there is no way they would ever use metric (and look at all the bolts they've stripped cause of it.)

Make sure your using good quality six point sockets. I have stripped down 3 motors now and 3 cars and have yet to strip a bolt... I've broken a couple but never stripped them.

Back