308 rear end gears

shawpdx1

I want ot put these in my 5 speed what cars can I get a set of these in? going to the junk yard this weekend does it have to be a sc? how do I identify 308's thanks

I don't think you will find much of a performance improvement with 3.08 gears. I originally put 3.55's in my '93 5 speed and it virtually eliminated the use of first gear and, was too high reving on the highway (nice take-off accelleration though). Then I changed to 3.27's and it was much much better all round. I'd buy the oem type Ford Motorsport gear set (about $200) rather than Richmond, because you will find them quieter. Also, when you install it or have it installed make sure you replace the clutch pack (about $50) for the traction-lock/limited slip. The actual gears I bought were made by DTS from Detroit, who are one of the suppliers to Motorsport.

My car had 3:08's installed by the previous owner. I believe the worst mod I made was changing to 3:27 gears. They would be better on a 94-95 car due to the different gear sets in the tranny but in an early model the start-up ratio (final drive times first gear ratio) is over 12 which IMHO is too high and not needed with a car that has the amount of torque most SC's do. The first gear is not non-existant but you will need to shift before you get across an large intersection unless you are prepared to rev. over 3K on a regular basis and for no particular reason other than the gears in the car.

i did alot of reading on this subject too and found that more people were happy with the 3.08 they picked out. people that had 3.27 always had the same things to say....great accelleration but first was almost non-existant.

so i picked up a set of 8.8" 3.08 ford racing gears off ebay for $40 shipped.

You guys are pansies.. I had 3.55's in my old SC and the car topped out near 155mph.. 1st gear was a bit over 30mph and it let me cross the 60ft mark before I had to shift.. But then again this is from a drag racing point of view and I thought they were still a bit too streetable for my taste :D Perfect nitrous gear for a 5spd IMO...

Gears

I have a 3.27 carrier..........it's back on the garage floor. Ot was fun.........from second gear up, but first is useless. I may get a 3.08 carrier/gear set and use that. The stock 2.73 is adaquate.

Back