Wobbly sc tensioner assembly

95MTSC

Just wondering if any of you have had this happen before. I couldn't find much by searching...

I just put a new metal pulley on my sc tensioner, but when I was rotating it back to put the belt on, I noticed that it kind of wobbles throughout the adjustment range. When you pull it back against the spring pressure, you can feel rough spots where it gets hard to pull back, then it gets easy again. It happens in several spots. There seems to be some play in it too. Has anyone rebuilt one of these? Or should I just look into replacing it? thx

I believe there is a nylon sleeve inside the tensioner that allows it to move smoothly. They are pretty easy to take apart if you want to see what is up inside them. That front plate that has the ford info on it can be pried off.

be carefull that spring can do damage to hands if you dont remove it carefully .

mine did this sticking thing i removed plate and used dura lube on the movig parts it works great but when they get to old just replace the whole thing

i have some good used ones so do others napa auto parts used to carry the whole units i bought mine two yrs ago for $40 at napa for my other scit had major damage in it so replace it it was

Thanks. I just pulled it apart, and managed to avoid hurting myself too :cool: It's funny that there doesn't appear to be anything wrong inside there... the plastic sleeves aren't torn up or anything. I'll take your advice Manny, and see if lubing it helps first.

Back