gears for windows

Actually your gears are not likely to be stripped. Go to Autozone, Advance, or your local parts store look in their Help section there are the parts to repair the gears.Its a common problem on all Fords.The required parts are CHEAP.All the repair requires is you remove the motor[gotta do that any way], remove one screw, take the gear apart, clean up the broken parts, replace the 3 clutch dogs [plastic plugs],grease and reassemble. Less than $10.00 a side.Anyone who works on our cars [or any Ford with power windows] should learn to do this. If you have any questions there are threads that address this issue. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

I had a similar issue with one of my birds. Turns out it was just the cam buttons inside of the large nylon gear. I bought two rebuild kits from SCP for about 30 bucks each. Thsi included the lube, large gear, and 3 cam buttons. I probably could have done it with just the 3 cam buttons. FWIW I have seen the cam buttons at Advance Auto for about 6 bucks for the 3 you would need to rebuild a motor assembly. If you do need the new larger nylon gear that the cam buttons ride in though, might as well bit the bullet and pick them up from Bill at SCP.

Or if you want to be cheap like I was just put a few nuts in there that are around the right size and it will work just as good. Just don't get your finger stuck when the window goes up because metal isn't as forgiving as the plastic is.
Dan

Or if you want to be cheap like I was just put a few nuts in there that are around the right size and it will work just as good. Just don't get your finger stuck when the window goes up because metal isn't as forgiving as the plastic is.
Dan

:eek: I would never put my nuts in any kind of mechainical gearing!!

Seriously though, some have used that, and I've heard of using oak dowels as well in place of the cam buttons. I think you will spend as much time trying to find the right sized nuts or dowel as you would goign to the HELP! section and dropping the 6 or 7 bucks on the new correct style replacement parts..

Thanks guys.... hopefully it's just the buttons. Thinking about it that's probably what it is, As I never heard any gear stripping noises just the windows would stop and start going again at any window level never the same spot.

Just remember when working on the window mechanism take the time to lube all the mechanism with white-lithium {spray] grease and all glass runs with silicone spray. Done properly the windows move much easier.And dont use parts that werent designed for the application.Ford didnt spend all that money designing parts for nothing.

I think you will spend as much time trying to find the right sized nuts or dowel as you would goign to the HELP! section and dropping the 6 or 7 bucks on the new correct style replacement parts..

It probably took me an extra 5mins to find the right sized nuts. I have a draw full of old nuts bolts just incase I need them for times like these.
Dan

Back