What is This?

Ironsam63

I did my front brakes for the first time on my 89 SC, manual trans. What is the 4 inch gear looking thing behind my rotor with what looks like a magnetic tab above it? And its on both front sides. Thanks.

Hey...

I did my front brakes for the first time on my 89 SC, manual trans. What is the 4 inch gear looking thing behind my rotor with what looks like a magnetic tab above it? And its on both front sides. Thanks.

You be careful...if you're asking what ABS sensors are, I'm wondering if you should be doing brakes without supervision. :) At least you had sense enough to ask before you started ripping stuff apart.

I had an idea of what it was, just wanted to be sure. An uneducated assumption of a person should be supervised.

ABS sensor

Actually, the ring is not the ABS Sensor, but is the toothed ring for the ABS sensor. The sensor itself is pressed into the steering knuckle near the top and faces that toothed ring. The ring allows the sensor to generate steady pulses that can be read by the the ABS computer. You have one on the other side in front, and on either side of the differential in the rear.

With those 4 inputs, the ABS computer can figure out what to do.

Sorry bro...

I had an idea of what it was, just wanted to be sure. An uneducated assumption of a person should be supervised.

didn't mean to offend. I just remember when I started out as a mechanic 18 years ago, that was one of the big things my instructors pushed. Apprentices/novice being supervised when working with safety related items (i.e. brakes, steering, etc). Again...my apologies.

didn't mean to offend. I just remember when I started out as a mechanic 18 years ago, that was one of the big things my instructors pushed. Apprentices/novice being supervised when working with safety related items (i.e. brakes, steering, etc). Again...my apologies.

I would agree with this if you are working at a shop on a customers car. With my own car, I break something I buy it anyways so I have the right to touch/break whatever I want on it!! lol

I think it would be more of a case, that while doing brakes for the first time is great and its a good way to learn, its best to have someone in the know just to check your work to be on the safe side ;).

Just because its your own car as stated, you still have a responsibility to do it right with stuff like that because its not just your life you are responsible for on the road.... your brakes fail, someone's kid gets run over...

i play around in my own shop now fixing about 2-5 car/trucks a week with no complaints yet(knock on wood), but omfg when i first started working on cars about 16 years ago i must have broke more things then i fixed mostly due to there was no1 with answers to ask them. so by all means with anything that your not sure about just ask some1 that might know like most of the peeps on this sight. its the times you dont ask and brake something then shame on you. as far as your abs, a lil tip (unplug that junk when on ice or snow lol).:cool:

Back