Check Engine Light/Sputtering

Raymondo

Ok, here is the story. My CEL will come on and my bird will sputter but the code scanner at the shop cannot pull a code. The CEL comes on seemingly at random. I am thinking MAF, Throttle Position Sensor, Idle Position Sensor...but cannot pin it down. The only thing I have done to it is replace the O2 sensors and the antifreeze. Any suggestions?

Ray

Check the pulley on the front of the crankshaft and make sure it is spinning true and not wobbling. also check to make sure the center bolt is still in the crankshaft and not broken out.

If any of that is happening, the harmonic balancer is failing.

Otherwise, it might be an intermittent connection for the crank, or cam sensors, or the DIS or coil pack.

Check the pulley on the front of the crankshaft and make sure it is spinning true and not wobbling. also check to make sure the center bolt is still in the crankshaft and not broken out.

If any of that is happening, the harmonic balancer is failing.

Otherwise, it might be an intermittent connection for the crank, or cam sensors, or the DIS or coil pack.

Well the harmonic balancer is fine. So, how does one troubleshoot the other possibilities?

Thanks!
Ray

u can unplug the cam sensor and see if the car runs better with it unplugged. may take a few tries to start. if it runs better without it, replace the cam sensor. thats what i think it is anyway.

besides above to troubleshoot the cam sensor, inspect all the wires and connections on the ignition components. Unplug, clean out, plug back in.

Back