Can Someone Explain This?

rickbtbird

My car has always gotten less then preferred gas mileage because I drive hard. It has about 98,000 on it. I’ve always run Mobile 1 5w30.

Recently I tired the Lucas Oil Stabilizer with a non synthetic store brand oil and my MPG went from 15 to 21 MPG and I was driving it hard, 75-100 MPH on the highway. I'm also aware that it adds viscosity to the oil. From what I understand that could hurt the bearings. Got to be impressed with the increase MPG but I'm not sure it's meant for our cars.

Last edited:
in the summer use 20w 50 its better for the car all around

LOL! right!!!!!!

I went from 10W30 syn to 5W50 syn and my car made so many noises at idle I thought she was gonna blow up.... and alot of those noises where knocking sounds.

Back to 10W30 and she runs real smooth. I've got 40psi at 800RPM's and nailing 65psi at 1200rpm's when she's real hot.

Folks HAVE to install a real oil pressure gauge and see whats going on before switching to heavier oils. If the car is running good on regular weights, going heavier can be more destructive than helpful... then there is going to heavier oils cause things are worn real bad... and frankly, if thats the case you'd best be looking at new bearings etc.

in the summer use 20w 50 its better for the car all around
According to Ford when servicing any Ford gasoline-powered vehicle, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oil. Refer to the following text for further details.

Both SAE 10W-30 and SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oils have been recommended in the past depending on vehicle model and model year.

Tests have proven SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oil provides the optimum protection and benefits for Ford gasoline engines. At both high and low ambient temperature conditions, SAE 5W-30 provides the best overall protection. It allows faster starts under cold ambient temperatures.

SAE 5W-30 also provides approximately 1/2% increase in fuel economy over SAE 10W-30.

SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API) should be used for all service procedures requiring replacement of the motor oil.

Back