Where is fuel pump relay located on 90 SC?

Scott Long

I checked the fuse in the underhood box, and the inertia switch. Before I drop the tank I'll put in a new relay. Where is it though and which one. I looked online and it says a GP Sorensen MR-12 is the relay, so I'll go get one.

In the trunk on the left hand in the area of the inertia switch. If I remember correctly, the one with the pink with black stripe wire is the one you need to be looking for.

In the trunk on the left hand in the area of the inertia switch. If I remember correctly, the one with the pink with black stripe wire is the one you need to be looking for.

Correct me if I'm wrong but sc's didnt have a fuel pump relay. It was actually part of the IRCM and there wasn't a fuel pump relay by itself. I think only the 5.0 birds had a fuel pump relay and maybe early 3.8na's. I know for a fact my 94sc didn't have the relay but maybe the early models did but I don't think so.
Dan

You are wrong Dan. The EEC power relay is inside the IRCM, but the fuel pump relay is in the trunk. 4 wires, white, tan/ lt green, black/yellow, and pink/black wires. If you would like a pic let me know.

You are wrong Dan. The EEC power relay is inside the IRCM, but the fuel pump relay is in the trunk. 4 wires, white, tan/ lt green, black/yellow, and pink/black wires. If you would like a pic let me know.

Then early models are indeed different. I have two wires on the inertia switch one goes to the pump itself and the other goes to the ECM. I know the wires you are talking about because I did a 5.0 swap and I needed to add a fuel pump relay to my 94sc so 9495s don't have a fuel pump relay it is inside the IRCM early models must be different.
Dan

'89 thru '92 us and IRCM and a separate fuel pump relay located in the trunk. '93 and later use the CCRM and fuel pump control is in the box.

Well I changed the relay today. Nothing. Got to drop the tank now and check voltage at the pump with the key on. I am going to run down to Bill E's tomorrow morning and pick up a 255 pump.

Well I changed the relay today. Nothing. Got to drop the tank now and check voltage at the pump with the key on. I am going to run down to Bill E's tomorrow morning and pick up a 255 pump.

just curious as to why you thought it was the relay in the first place and not the pump itself? You could always just give 12v to the Pk/bk wire on the enertia switch and that should trigger the pump

Relay is 17 yrs. old, pump is 3.

Oh well it has a new relay now.

I spent the past 3 hours fighting this car. I got it up on a lift and had to cut the bolts on the resonator to rear section flange, then fight with the pipe because it was rusted up so I got a torch and heated it up till I could seperate the exhaust. Then I had to fight with the exhaust hangers, fight with the heat shield bolts, fight with the strap bolts. I have the tank sitting on a big lower cradle type engine hoist but I can't get the 2 smaller hoses off of their mounting spots. Damn thing is not wanting to come out. I am so tempted to put a fuel cell in this car.

Relay is 17 yrs. old, pump is 3.

Oh well it has a new relay now.

I spent the past 3 hours fighting this car. I got it up on a lift and had to cut the bolts on the resonator to rear section flange, then fight with the pipe because it was rusted up so I got a torch and heated it up till I could seperate the exhaust. Then I had to fight with the exhaust hangers, fight with the heat shield bolts, fight with the strap bolts. I have the tank sitting on a big lower cradle type engine hoist but I can't get the 2 smaller hoses off of their mounting spots. Damn thing is not wanting to come out. I am so tempted to put a fuel cell in this car.

I wouldn't be suprised if the pump went. Hell my 255lph walbro lasted about 2hours

Ok put the new pump in, put the tank back up, plugged in the connector....

Key on: gas level gauge reads proper, but pump won't run. Doesn't even prime. I swapped the old relay back and no difference.

My connector at the tank was all broken so it's directly wired to the prongs on the lid. I put a ton of die-electric grease over them to keep moisture out. I'll get a new harness and connector but I want to make sure it runs.

I don't know what to do now? Re-wire the pump w/ it's own relay? Is a 30 amp relay enough to run the pump? What about a 30 amp inline fuse and 12 ga. wiring? Sound like a plan? I can trigger the relay with something switched w/ the ign. But if the pump runs anytime the key is on then, would it automatically re-circulate back to the tank or would it build pressure at the rail?

If I put a fuel cell in, could I use the BRAND NEW 255 LPH pump that I bought today? What about fuel lines can you use the stock ones or do I need to go to like -8 or -6 and run new up to the fuel regulator and rail?

This car is pissing me off!!!!

Back