PDA

View Full Version : Oil In MAF

Raymondo
10-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Ok, have been having idle problems, sputtering problems with my 95 SC. After replacing the O2 Sensors, which solved some codes, I began to troubleshoot. When I pulled the MAF I noticed engine oil in the tube, in the MAF and in the air filter. It is coming from the vac tube running from the driver's side valve cover. Any ideas why this is happening? The engine only has about 20k on it.

Thanks!
Ray

thunderkid84
10-04-2007, 08:48 AM
are we talkin motor oil ? in your maf and air filter ? that shouldnt be happening. u should only be seeing oil from the throttle body on.

do u have a K&N filter ? they come pre-oiled and over time the maf sensors will pick up the oil, which can screw up the values given to the EEC.

Raymondo
10-04-2007, 09:01 AM
are we talkin motor oil ? in your maf and air filter ? that shouldnt be happening. u should only be seeing oil from the throttle body on.

do u have a K&N filter ? they come pre-oiled and over time the maf sensors will pick up the oil, which can screw up the values given to the EEC.

It is motor oil.....

fturner
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Double check your PCV valve for correct operation, and make sure its an actual Ford one as the aftermarkets don't work right under boost.

blown94cougar
10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
the oil getting in there probably screwed up your hot and cold wire sensors in the MAF electronics change out your sensor after you find the oil leak and sputtering will be gone Mine did the same thing was a bad pcv valve

S_Mazza
10-04-2007, 04:03 PM
The wires are cleanable. But you have to be gentle as they are very tiny.

deepbluesc
10-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm on-board with everyone else on the PVC valve, especially the comment about using the Motorcraft unit. None of the others seem to do anything but cause driveability problems in Fords.

You can use an electrical component cleaner. It comes in a spray bomb and there is no need to touch the wires. Spray them clean, let dry and reinstall. Lather, rinse, repeat.:D

mannysc
10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
wow us 89-93 owners have the hose going to intake tube halfway to tb unit i forgot they had moved it on later models