1.5 drop

BrentSC

i have a set of 1.5inch drop eibach coils for my 90'sc. i went to the local auto shop and they said 350$ for installation... im wondering if anyone has ever done this installation by themselfs, i guess one would need a spring compressor. is this job difficult??? if anyone has ever done this please tell me what it was like and what i am going to have to do. thanks alot!!!!!!!

brent

Its not that hard to do them... just some grunt effort. The front coils do need a spring compressor so it can be changed, but I just took my shock/spring assembly to the local garage and paid $30 for them to do that part for me since my wife wouldn't let me buy a spring compressor :eek:.

ps: Posted before she saw that.

The rears are easy, just check the rubber insulator cups for wear. The fronts springs can be difficult because they are narrower and stronger than most. I managed with a standard spring tool but that was the last time that tool will be able to be used. It got bent out of shape. The top A-arm has a bolt that must be completely removed to drop the spindle. The front coil-overs can be removed as a unit and taken in to a shop to replace springs. Use lots of white grease. Allow it to settle for a while and take it in for 4 wheel alignment.

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/springs/lowering_springs.htm

Regardless of whether you do yourself or pay to have it done start soaking the bolt from the strut to the lower control arm in WD40 or something similuar. That lower bolt is a pita to get loose. i did mine myself. The rear springs were shot, one had a broken coil, so I used a torch to cut the coils and had them out in a few minutes. I had a spring compressor for the fronts. If you do it yourself make sure the springs go on exactly the same as the old. New insulaters on the rear are a good thing as well. 350 sounds a little high, shop around and see if you can get a better deal. Ignore Manny, I think he dropped his off a bridge hopeing they would compress 1.5":D

Ken

Ive done the front springs on several Tbirds and have never used a spring compressor .. those things are dangerous.

- Dan

They're not too bad to do yourself. I recall a post by Dave D describing exactly how he uses the weight of the car to install and remove the springs with out a compressor or danger. I can't remember the specifics enough to try to recreate what he said without worrying I'd give you a bad suggestion.

Do a search. $350.. Byte me!:mad:

Back