ABS brake problem, please help and advise!!!!

phils89sc

I have noticed that my ABS does not work on my 89 SC. It has also come to my attention that when I turn on my ignition switch, I see no light come on for the ABS system check. I can hear and feel the accumulator motor working and I do have power brakes, but if for whatever reason I have to nail them hard, they suck. Lets say I have to do a emergency stop and have to push the brake pedal pretty hard and quick. Now when I initially hit the prake pedal, it's as if the brakes hardly even work, then after about 1 second (give or take a tenth or two), the brakes will start to work normally with the exception of the ABS not working. On the other hand, if I am coming to a normal stop, if I ease down the brake pedal, it modulates normally and feels normal. As for the light on the instrument cluster, one can only assume by my reading my other posts that the royal ASS that had the car before me probably saw that the light was on all the time and just took out the bulb (I hate stupid people!!). Any help would be great!!

Thanks in advance,

Phil Stocker

It's possible that accumulator could be losing pressure a lot, which would cause that few seconds of dead braking space since the ABS pump would have to start charging right after you hit the brakes hard. I know with mine it's just starting to get a little crappy as it'll kick on after a few pedal compressions, but if I slam the brakes hard on a dirt road or slick surface the ABS system functions fine.

How good are your brake pads? That could also cause a slight problem. Doing brake pads was beyond easy on this car.

Just a thought.
Do what Johnny Squirrel has done.
Try to force your ABS to function by going to a stone road or grassy area and slamming your brakes on hard. Do this a few times. There might be a blockage in the valves and doing this might clear it.
When was the last time you completely flushed out all the old brake fluid in your brake system?

I have my doubts about this, if you dont even see the light...perhaps its something related to the computer? Check your ABS computer (in the trunk) and make sure everythign is connected properly. Assuming this is ok and all your actual braking components are working right (pads, calipers, rotors, etc) i'd suggest you use my typical way of checking/replacing ABS components:
Unless I already suspect of an individual component I start with a:
brake flush>then check/replace ABS pump relay> check/replace Accumulator> check/replace Pressure Switch> then check the whole unit. I use this because of two things. This allows me to begin checking/replacing the cheapest compoonents, and the cheapest components happen to be the ones that cause problems more often. This has worked for me and I've ended up diagnosing and fixing all of my problems. If you can get your hands on a Dec. 1999 edition of Charging thunder or on the actual article made by Duffly Floyd...id suggest you read it. Its very detailed and will help you understand and diagnose your ABS system.

I find it amusing that the ABS computer in my trunk has a label on the bottom that says "This Side Up."

Kind of tells you something doesn't it?

OK
Do what Johnny_Squirrel has suggested.
Turn your car upside down on it's roof and
then test the brakes.

Back