Longtube header users..a few questions.

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Were there any issues with fitment other than extending the o2 sensor wires ? Are you using a resonator ? How is ground clearance on a lowered car ? Did you get them with 2.5" or 3" collector ?

Please feel free to share anything else you learned when installing them.

David

Last edited:
I recall my ride in XR7 Dave's Black Cougar scraping the long tubes while going over some cut curbs.

I'm still disturbed at how much they are for the SuperCoupes when the regular V6 ones go for mid $300's.

David they fit on my 94 well and had the 3 inch collectors.

I would personally go three inch as you can always reduce at the collector.

These headers were originally fitted for a 93 SC in which the engine sits differently then on an earlier car. From my understanding the 93-95 sit the same due to a revised mounting setup which is different then 89-92's/ Perhaps due to the brake setup, I dont know

So I would assume fitment will be different on the different year cars. Just make sure that whoever is giving you ground clearence advice has a sim year car as yours and not one with a different motor mount setup

I guess what I am planning to do is fit them to the car prior to having them coated. Then if I see any issues (I have custom motor mounts) I'll just bend the suckers to increase any clearances necessary. Then clean them up and get them coated.

Anyone installed the current Kooks longtubes SPC is selling on an 89-92 SC ? For those with 89-91 did you change to the 92-95 gas tank ?

David

Last edited:
Anyone installed the current Kooks longtubes SPC is selling on an 89-92 SC ? For those with 89-91 did you change to the 92-95 gas tank ?

David

Ken Seegers just tried installing the current Kooks longtubes and the O2 sensor bung wasn't in the right place....the reason why he didn't attend the shootout.

You need a late-model gas tank regardless if anybody is running long tubes with an early gas tank.

Were there any issues with fitment other than extending the o2 sensor wires ? Are you using a resonator ? How is ground clearance on a lowered car ? Did you get them with 2.5" or 3" collector ?

Please feel free to share anything else you learned when installing them.

David

Dave, I installed the long tube headers with the 3" collectors. I brought transition pieces to go from 3 to 2.5 inch. Maybe I should have just gone with the 2.5 collector but my thinking at that time was if I needed to with duel 3" the headers would be correct. Now for the O2 bungs I did not use them; instead I am using a wideband installed in a X pipe downstream from the headers. I haven't had any trouble with them scraping the ground. Convertors are pretty much out of the question. If you would like pics let me know and I will get you some. Good luck.

Mike

I can't believe you are still using the early tank. I thought Dan Sly was the fastest with an early tank, apparently they aren't as big of power robbers as we once thought. However I think at your power level you could benefit from 3" collectors and either duals or a 3.5" center section and probably 3" mufflers if you plan to run them.

I;d be curious to see what David gets with a new tune and a freer flowing exhaust..If anybody need sit it should be him

David

David,
I am currently trying to get the headers in the car. The driver's side goes in easy, but the passenger side is being a pain. The only problem so far is the o2 bungs location. I am going to get o2 sensors and extend the wiring myself. I should be able to have the install this week. I planning not to run cat either. I am having my exhaust custom made. I will not know how difficult until I get it started.

Ken

Mike,

Yes I would like to see the pictures....please e-mail to dkneibert@charter.net
I'm not planning on cats, and I'm undecided about using a resonator.

Chris,

I'll let you know about the tank within a couple days.

Ken,

What size collectors are you using ? Do you have any pictures of what is wrong with the o2 bungs...Is Bill aware of the problem ?

Are you guys using true duals or running a 3.5" center pipe ?

David

Ken,

What size collectors are you using ? Do you have any pictures of what is wrong with the o2 bungs...Is Bill aware of the problem ?

David

David,

Ken posted a picture of the O2 bung problem. Basically, it was rotated to far from the ground and therefore, the O2 sensor would hit the transmission (I think).

Ken used to run true duals, but I'm not sure of his plans for the new exhaust. Personally, I think I'd run the single 3.5" thru the tunnel. I'm doing that now and it allows me to run a single 3.5" Borla race muffler as a resonator. However, with long tubes, I'm not sure if there is enough room.

David,

Ken posted a picture of the O2 bung problem. Basically, it was rotated to far from the ground and therefore, the O2 sensor would hit the transmission (I think).

Ken used to run true duals, but I'm not sure of his plans for the new exhaust. Personally, I think I'd run the single 3.5" thru the tunnel. I'm doing that now and it allows me to run a single 3.5" Borla race muffler as a resonator. However, with long tubes, I'm not sure if there is enough room.

I know that the bosch O2 sensors are physically longer then the oem ones. I had problems on my 93 v-6 LX fitting bosch's with my midlength kooks headers. Just some food for thought.

I can't believe you are still using the early tank. I thought Dan Sly was the fastest with an early tank, apparently they aren't as big of power robbers as we once thought. However I think at your power level you could benefit from 3" collectors and either duals or a 3.5" center section and probably 3" mufflers if you plan to run them.

Doesn't mean he couldn't have been faaasssteeerrrrr.

Doesn't mean he couldn't have been faaasssteeerrrrr.

That's one way to look at it, the other way is, spend all the money, don't see any gains at the track or dyno, but the exhaust system is straighter.

I know with solid axle cars most people put turn downs before the axle. Ours goes out straight and doesn't have as many sharp bends, plus 3.5" pipe will flow a ton of air.

Mike,

Yes I would like to see the pictures....please e-mail to dkneibert@charter.net
I'm not planning on cats, and I'm undecided about using a resonator.

Chris,

I'll let you know about the tank within a couple days.

Ken,

David

David,
I am using a 2.5" collector. Bill E. is aware of the problem.....I hope he got Kooks to correct the problem for the further. I am going to run 2.5" into a dynomax ultraflo 2.5" out to 3" and then a single 3" to 2-2.5" in pypes mufflers. I see how it sounds in a couple weeks.

Ken

David,
I am using a 2.5" collector. Bill E. is aware of the problem.....I hope he got Kooks to correct the problem for the further. I am going to run 2.5" into a dynomax ultraflo 2.5" out to 3" and then a single 3" to 2-2.5" in pypes mufflers. I see how it sounds in a couple weeks.

Ken

Why would you run 2.5 duals into a 3" mid? That is counterproductive. Just run 2.5" duals if you don't want to mess with a 3.5" mid. The 3.5" mid is expensive because you have to buy the merge for both ends of it. Dual 2.5's are just dual 2.5's. I've done it both ways and from a fitment standpoint I don't think it makes any difference.

People who run 2.5" into 3" are going so as a matter of convenience for the person building the pipes because those are more common sizes. If you want performance you need to balance the cross section of your pipes (and use mandrel bent pipes too).

Back