do the short head bolts need thread sealer?

Some of them can go into the water jacket. Personally I'd rather put sealer on there like the manual says than take a chance of having coolant seeping into areas it shouldn't be.

I can't remember now if I did or not, but I want to say I think I coated them with it. Probably can't hurt. Better safe than sorry.

I didn't use any on mine. Inspection on my part showed they didn't enter any water jackets. Using the sealer won't hurt anything though.

I didn't use any on mine. Inspection on my part showed they didn't enter any water jackets.
Same here. I just used a couple of drops of machine oil on the threads. However, I believe there may be some benefit to using teflon as far as keeping bolts from seizing and in aiding the torquing procedure.

The bolts screw into the block, not the heads. Thus any issue with removal is more likely to do with rust than not. ARP studs are coated so they should do pretty good.

Some of them can go into the water jacket. Personally I'd rather put sealer on there like the manual says than take a chance of having coolant seeping into areas it shouldn't be.

Digging up a mildly old thread to pose another question. If the headstuds for a person's particular block bottom-out when screwing them in, can one safely assume the holes DO NOT protrude into the water jacket? Or are the holes tapered at the end? Or perhaps the threads only go so far down the hole? These are the only three possibilities I can imagine would cause the feeling of the headstud bottoming-out. I'm thinking the first one is the case.

I'm guessing the manual says to add sealer to the threads to prevent gunk from accumulating which could harm the threads upon stud removal. I hope my logic is correct b/c I neglected to use sealer on my short headstuds, rather I used ARP moly lube. :eek:

i just chased all block threads, used assembly oil on the head bolt threads and underside of bolt head and voila. no leaks thus far.

My new motor was assembled with no sealer on any of the head studs. All the holes I looked at appear to be blind and did not intersect with coolant ports.

David

My new motor was assembled with no sealer on any of the head studs. All the holes I looked at appear to be blind and did not intersect with coolant ports.

David

That's good to know. I also got confirmation from the 'engine master' that the headstud block holes are blind.

Back