Alternator upgrades

XxSlowpokexX

Ok guys/gals

This is not a group buy or anything but I thought I'd share some promise. A reputable alternator guy that does upgrades says for approximately 210 he can get 160 amps and a rebuld out of our factory alternator. I am awaiting a definite confirmation on this as I hav etalked ot many builders and they keep telling me no can do..So this would be great!

Sure a 3g upgrade is cheaper but I've stayed away due to the size and rotating mass of the larger unit. PLus 110 amps isnt all that bad unless the alternator itself is bad. 160 out of our factory alternator may be a good thing

Now I have done a lil bit more research and may have found a bolt in alternator with 130 amps that is about the same size as our factory alternator but will run cooler, be more reliable and be less of a drain then the 3G. Now I dont want to say what it is just yet till I make sure it works (I ordered one yesterday). Funny how before reaching 60,000 miles my alternator decides to day bye..Along with my motor mounts and various other lil dodads

Anyway I iwll get back to you on #1 as soon as i get confirmation that they can indeed do that and #2 by sometime next week.

HAs anyone else treid any other conversions besides the 3g?

You will need to let me know as soon as you find out. I am needing one, and if they can powdercoat the casing while it's off for rebuilding/upgrading, that'd be killing two birds with one stone.

I can ask/ Shipped the 130amp I'm looking at will be around 120,,The160 amp as I said 210..If youperfer the stock look then the upgraded stocker is the way to go.I just need to see what Im dealing with when this new one comes in

Well size/clearance shouldn't be an issue once I install the front mount. The main thing I want to have is a little more output at idle so I can intall an amplifier and keep my underdrive pulleys. This is especially important if I move the battery to the trunk.

Most important will be amperage at a particular RPM.m I know the 130Im looking at has 85 amps at idle..With UD's Idont know

So a few updates..The alternator fits wonderfully. As a matter of fact the lil bolt in the back even lines up. I did however reclock the regulator position to tuck it all under the IC tube. It even appears the alternator ends up a lil further away from the bracket giveing the belt a tighter adjustment. The regulator has a different plug however the wiring color is exactly the same...The middle wire you leave out. This alternator charges much better at idle with teh UD pulleys then my factory unit

Now the problem. With the UD pulleys being the alternator pulley is so huge I had to grind down the IC tube flange a bit. Wouldnt be an issue with the factory pulley set.

Anyway its 6G a 130amp motorcraft alternator. I bought it here and the owner was VERY helpful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...004QQitemZ140166250259QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The alternator itself is smaller dimensionally then the 3G and is an overall better unit. I highly reccomend it

Good reading Damon. Oh and yeah, it was a pain to have to grind the upper IC flange when I had UDs. I'm glad I ditched those things. Spinning the water pump and alt slower never seemed like a good idea to me anyhow, especially with all my electric add-ons (I didn't use as many relays as I probably should have).

I been driving the car around. It's really working out well and looks like it belongs. I'm happy with it. A great alternative to the huge 3G

Did you upgrade the main feed wire like I see some of the sites tell you to?

This particular ebay seller doesn't mention it and going from 110 to 130 probably isn't a problem. 65 to a 130 would probably be and issue.

you could but its not needed in my opinion. The older 65 amp alternators had this luil itty bitty wire...

This was definitely a great upgrade

I am wondering what these come on stock.
Any ideas?

I read someplace Taurus, but looking at a Taurus and knowing it's a 6g is tough. You said the size is smaller. Is that smaller than our stock unit? In circumference?

Sorry for the questions, but I would like an alternate source if ebay source goes belly up.

There are several ebay sources however thsi guy was top notch. I know there are two 6G alternators that will work for us. One is teh large case which is the size of a 3 G and the other the small case which is about the same size as factory just shaped different. EIther way you will not find it cheaper then ebay. I believe they were used on trucks

photos...dont mind the filthy engine compartment!

Attachments

• IMG00010.jpg
    IMG00010.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG00011.jpg
    IMG00011.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG00012.jpg
    IMG00012.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 254
You know someone will talk about that radiator stain.

And a U Vin 2001 Taurus/Sable. Went and looked at one at the junkyard. Same unit you have there.
And if anyone wonders the 3G unit has different cooling slots, many more thinner slots. All balances out on the openings, just an FYI so those know what each looks like.

And an update. The seller on ebay is giving a 1 year warranty on the unit. The listing shows only 90 days. He just emailed me.

Rodney

Last edited:
Back