PDA

View Full Version : Custom Drag Wheels

cudaz101
10-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I have some test wheels being made as of TODAY in the below spec/style.

Terminator Series Centerline Rotary Forged 2pc custom wheel.

They will be a direct bolt on wheel. No need to change studs or lugnuts, etc...Still have to do some test fitting but I see little to no surprises. I am posting this up to gauge interest. The prices are the absolute best I can do, I only wish I could do better...

Prices are speculated @
$280ea Rears
$250ea Fronts

15X4 FRONT 13lbs 1.65" backspace Polished 5-4.25 bolt pattern
15X8 REAR 17lbs 5.50" backspace Polished 5-4.25 bolt pattern
http://www.centerlinewheels.com/images/wheels/medium/20060920153616_telstar.jpg
http://www1.zoto.com/cudaz101/img/600x600x2/5ae6d40d9da2d873167b7be16689f5f5.jpg

All input is welcome...:)

Cheers,

Brad

Mike8675309
10-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm up for them if they come in at a low weight. Any idea on that?

A 9 or 10" rear wheel not possible due to the 15" size?

First year I'd likely just do rears as I have front aluminum wheels I can use.

KwikGSeX
10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
They look nice.. Whats the weight on them?

cudaz101
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm up for them if they come in at a low weight. Any idea on that?

A 9 or 10" rear wheel not possible due to the 15" size?

First year I'd likely just do rears as I have front aluminum wheels I can use.

Mike being 15" an 8" wide wheel is the limit if you want it to look even close to correct with the fenders. After many long discussions this seems to be the most sought for combination.

Mike & Dennis...YES I know what the weight is...I posted a bit hastey I guess. It has been edited.

Brad

Burbank95sc
10-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Damn, they look nice.What's the finishing on them.My birthday was couple days ago and I'm thinking about making myself a late birthday present :D:D

Derek

cudaz101
10-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Damn, they look nice.What's the finishing on them.My birthday was couple days ago and I'm thinking about making myself a late birthday present :D:D

Derek

Derek, the finish is Polished. I don't know if they offer a satin finish in these or not...If anyone has a preference I could get some done up in each finish...

I am suppose to have my test wheels in a week so things could be moving somewhat quick on this. Will have to see..I have never done anything with these guys before so ya never know...

Brad

David Neibert
10-09-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm interested....sure you can't go up to 9" on the rears ?

David

cudaz101
10-09-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm interested....sure you can't go up to 9" on the rears ?

David

David,
Once I get the 8" test wheel I will be able to answer that question without question. That would however mean that I would have to go with a differant center and barrel because these come in 4,6,7,8 & 10" barrels.

I like this particular option because they are somewhat light and they are forged as well.

Brad

XxSlowpokexX
10-09-2007, 12:33 AM
lookss goooddd

Kurt K
10-09-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer is "no", but here goes:

is Big Brake clearance possible?

cudaz101
10-09-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer is "no", but here goes:

is Big Brake clearance possible?

Kurt,
I suppose Centerline would already know the answer to that. You are talking about the Rears yes??

Brad

XxSlowpokexX
10-09-2007, 01:46 AM
15 x 4 with a 2.3125 " backspacing fits with a convo pro and 13" brakes

Ira R.
10-09-2007, 07:02 AM
So what would be the optimum tire size for these wheels on a car that hasn't been lowered??

Ira

XxSlowpokexX
10-09-2007, 08:45 AM
I know someone that is running a 28 inch tall front runner. Depends on what your running out back

Mike8675309
10-09-2007, 10:22 AM
So what would be the optimum tire size for these wheels on a car that hasn't been lowered??

Ira

I can't imagine chassis height should change the optimum other than if it will clear. Ideally you'll look at your gear ratio's, and then try to find the right height tire to put in the right gear, for the right RPM at the traps.

Sounds good brad. The weight looks great. Certainly for folks looking to run a 10.5" slick, a 9" wheel would be best if possible. 10" good as well. But certainly an 8" is within the fitment range that is reasonable for a street/strip car and would work for me. (Certainly much better than the 6.5" wheel I'm using now on a 10" tire)

Micahdogg
10-09-2007, 11:13 AM
15 x 4 with a 2.3125 " backspacing fits with a convo pro and 13" brakes

I really doubt this. The problem with 15 inch wheels and 13 inch brakes is that it is physically impossible to fit the brakes inside the wheel. The lip of the rim will hit the caliper. In my application, I use a zero offset 15 X 3.5 (2.25 backspace). I have to use a 1 inch spacer which effectively adds another 25mm offset (or 1.25 backspacing).

So no matter how you achieve it...with offset in the wheel, offset via spacer, anyone with cobra brakes, for any width wheel must have no more than 1.25 backspacing for a 15 inch wheel. Since this can't change, the only way you'll make the wheels tuck in better is to go as skinny as possible. Being that you are looking at 4 inch wide wheels...a Centerline will stick out 1/2 inch further than this:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/mjmenke/2007%20shootout/micah2.jpg

Scott Long
10-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Those are sweet, however I don't need forged, and would prefer something in the 150/ea. price range such as pro-stars or drag lites. Anything else offered for us that's not almost $300 per wheel?

XxSlowpokexX
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Micah here ya go. Sometimes a visual works much better

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=71914&highlight=2.3125

On second thought though it may be for the non 13" brakes..I never asked

cudaz101
10-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Those are sweet, however I don't need forged, and would prefer something in the 150/ea. price range such as pro-stars or drag lites. Anything else offered for us that's not almost $300 per wheel?

Scott in dealing with WELD Racing/American Racing to get some custom drag wheels done up it became impossible to deal with them (2 years now). I honestly don't think it would have ever come to fruitation with that manufacturer. So it was time to pull up and try Centerline AGAIN...heh...This only took one phone call & one guy to give me the go-ahead and build the test wheels I needed. I realize these are not going to be the answer for everyone and that they are a bit expensive, but its the best I could do and the product quality exeeds most anyones needs or expectations.

If the general consensous is that they are more money than what most want to pay for a drag wheel then absolutley let me know...I don't want to be stuck with 120+ wheels.

Also...Keep in mind that you don't need to change studs or lugnuts with these. So add up what that costs and add it to the WELD product per wheel when making your comparison as well.

Brad

Micahdogg
10-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Brad, looking at the backspace for those front wheels, it looks like anyone with cobra brakes would only need .4 inch wide spacer. So you may not even run into any problems with stud length by just plopping in the required spacer. Which would make things even easier. Also on my car, my tires are a little wider than the rim...so you could make that extra half inch up by just buying a skinny front runner.

Damon, I would bet $10 that he doesn't have cobra brakes. Those just tuck way too hard.

Kurt K
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Kurt,
I suppose Centerline would already know the answer to that. You are talking about the Rears yes??

Brad
Nope, I meant front 13" rotors. It seems Micah has been carrying that conversation for me :)

Ira R.
10-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I can't imagine chassis height should change the optimum other than if it will clear. Ideally you'll look at your gear ratio's, and then try to find the right height tire to put in the right gear, for the right RPM at the traps.

I realize that Mike. I am running MT 27x16's now and I guess I would just have to look into what they have in a 15"er.

Ira

cudaz101
10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Centerline says that they don't have a front drag spec wheel that will work with cobra brakes. They say you gotta use spacers.

Brad

XxSlowpokexX
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
There are some articles floating around where grinding and such along with a certain wheel clears...I just cant make heads or tails of it as there are so many versions of this out there

Micahdogg
10-09-2007, 04:48 PM
There are brackets on the GT brakes that can be ground down or cut off. Similar to our rear brakes. If you try to mount a weld in back, the spokes will grind against the caliper bracket. The bracket is about as wide as the clearance you need (3/8 inch) so you can totally hack it off if you want (it looks like it is just there to add rigidity to the entire bracket). Or you can just toss a spacer in there. Up front I know people with GT's who have completely cut the brackets of, or shaved them down considerably and used small spacers, or just used spacers period.

This isn't the case with Cobra calipers as the actual caliper is what hits the inside lip of the rim. You would have to cut a curved groove into the caliper right through the cobra lettering to get the wheel further inside. Or cut the inside lip of the wheel off. Both of which probably are not good ideas.

P.S. I guess I'll just have to take a picture next time I have a skinny mounted. Once you see the problem you'll see why there really isn't any other solution. A 15 is just too small.

XR7 Dave
10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
I like the wheels and might have a set sold for you. Mike?????

:D

Myself I already have a set of wheels for now. I'd probably spring for set sooner or later but right now it would be later since my car doesn't even run yet. Man, I sound like some other people around here I make fun of. :rolleyes:

racecougar
10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Micah here ya go. Sometimes a visual works much better

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=71914&highlight=2.3125

On second thought though it may be for the non 13" brakes..I never asked

Mike is running stock size rotors with PBR calipers, not 13" rotors.

PBR calipers = stock size rotors.

-Rod

cudaz101
10-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Anyone familiar with the challenges a MarkVIII/FN10 would have with this wheel configuration??

Ed N. seems to think they might not fit in the front. I knew that the FN10 had bigger brakes in front but not THAT much bigger.

Thanks,

Brad

racecougar
10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Brad,

I sincerely doubt that these will clear the Mark 8 front brakes, which are the same as the 96-97 Sport brakes (11.57" rotors IIRC). A 15" MN12 wheel won't clear those brakes.

-Rod

cudaz101
10-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Brad,

I sincerely doubt that these will clear the Mark 8 front brakes, which are the same as the 96-97 Sport brakes (11.57" rotors IIRC). A 15" MN12 wheel won't clear those brakes.

-Rod

OK...I know that a 15X6.5 steel snow wheel won't clear an SC brake either...I was hoping that with the given offset it would clear. Well the test wheels will arrive in the next week or so I was told...heh

Brad

Mike8675309
10-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Will the Aluminum 15" spare fit the Mark VIII brakes? Perhaps not since I believe the Mark VIII had a 16" aluminum spare.

Can they do a 16" front wheel? That would fix the clearance issue wouldn't it? For a drag setup, does it really matter if the front is 16" and the rear 15"? I wouldn't think so.

cudaz101
10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Will the Aluminum 15" spare fit the Mark VIII brakes? Perhaps not since I believe the Mark VIII had a 16" aluminum spare.

Can they do a 16" front wheel? That would fix the clearance issue wouldn't it? For a drag setup, does it really matter if the front is 16" and the rear 15"? I wouldn't think so.

I don't see where Centerline makes a 16" skinny. I think they would have to run spacers. Will have to see what comes of the test fit. With luck the barrel design will squeak us by...Its all speculation until then.

Brad

racecougar
10-10-2007, 07:38 PM

Nope. The 15" SC spare just barely clears the stock (10.87" dia?) MN12 rotors with PBR calipers. It won't clear the 11.57" Mark 8/Sport front rotors.

Can they do a 16" front wheel? That would fix the clearance issue wouldn't it?

It would cure that issue, but finding 16" front runners is another issue (I've yet to find a tire manufacturer that makes one).

All of this is why I went with the PBR calipers on the stock rotors, rather than switching to 13" rotors.

-Rod

EECDOC
10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Weld Pro Star 15X3.5 fit with the 11.5 sport brakes. I've been running them for like 4 years. It just takes a lot of custom time with a a file and an angle grinder. Black paint hides all.

Mike.........:cool:

VicRattlehead
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Nope. The 15" SC spare just barely clears the stock (10.87" dia?) MN12 rotors with PBR calipers. It won't clear the 11.57" Mark 8/Sport front rotors.

It would cure that issue, but finding 16" front runners is another issue (I've yet to find a tire manufacturer that makes one).

All of this is why I went with the PBR calipers on the stock rotors, rather than switching to 13" rotors.

-Rod

exactly, i have a set of 16" spare rims that i was going to use as front runners but for like 3 years could never find tires for them. thats why i ended up with the weld pro stars 15x3.5. i have pbr calipers here but havent put them on yet.

XxSlowpokexX
10-11-2007, 01:24 AM
PBR calipers = stock size rotors.

-Rod

The Cobra calipers are also PBR's thus the confusion.

I guess there just is no real way to get a rim that will work in a 15 without a spacer of some sort

racecougar
10-11-2007, 07:03 AM
I guess there just is no real way to get a rim that will work in a 15 without a spacer of some sort

Nope, not over a 13" rotor at least.

-Rod

Micahdogg
10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
And bogarts just have spacers prewelded to the rim. That is why they are direct fit for Cobra's. But they will still stick out every bit as far as a Weld with a bolt on spacer....the bogart way just makes things easier, but $$$$

XR7 Dave
10-11-2007, 12:07 PM
What is wrong with these front runners?

http://www.mandhtires.com/sc_images/products/362_large_image.gif

Available in both 16" and 17".

XxSlowpokexX
10-11-2007, 02:07 PM
I didnt even think of looking at M&H....Now to bad Cobra front spares are 100 a pop..And steel.

What about late model stangs? They are 17 inch aluminum spares..And they are 17*4's

Micahdogg
10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
I thought they were aluminum? Either way, I would just like to have one to use as a spare!!! I also know that Weld made a 17 inch XP skinny that was steel (no real wieght savings), but by virtue of that wheel, I would think a tire should be available.

XxSlowpokexX
10-11-2007, 05:24 PM
geesh..The cobra spares are going for over 100 on ebay now! Mine is steel..Wonder if different years had different spares..Mine may even be from a mach one..I dunno..All I do know is that it fits. Anyone besides M&H make a tire to fit? 26 inches tall...

392Bird
10-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I am ready to order a set as soon as you get all the details. Been a long time coming.

seawalkersee
10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
WELL THANKS FOR NOTHING. I have just purchased TWO of the Mark VIII spares for the fronts of my car. Now that being said, I am super pissed because I already have two of these wheels (yes, the VERY same centerlines) in a 5.5 pattern that will not fit the mustang front conversion because of the backspacing. They would fit the rear if someone had the moostang pattern but I am going to keep the SC setup so I will need a set of these:mad:.

Anyone want a pair in a 5 on 5.5 pattern?

Chris

seawalkersee
10-12-2007, 02:04 AM
So...getting pissed is one thing. Then I go down to the basement and swap one of my mustang hubs over to the front of the SC. Im not sure if I remember how to measure the backspacing, but if you go from the rear face (where it meets the rotor to the lip) than mine are like 4.5". They are only 7" wide. I stick them on the hub only to find that I was correct and they hit the caliper mount on the side. If the eecdoc is correct, than I should only have to take a small amount off of the caliper and cut the mount down to like half. Now....anyone think that grinding on the caliper mount (the piece that goes under the caliper from top to bottom) will cause any problems? I also do not have any lugs for the fatter studs. The wheels look REALLY good on there but I think they are going to stick out a bit far. I will see if I can get a pic later.

Chris

Ira R.
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Any update on this??

Ira

cudaz101
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Ira...Still waiting on the Test wheels to arrive. If they don't show by Thursday I am going to make some calls and see WTH is going on..:)

Brad

Ira R.
10-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Ira...Still waiting on the Test wheels to arrive. If they don't show by Thursday I am going to make some calls and see WTH is going on..:)

Brad

Thanks. Don't mean to sound impatient but I have two daughters who keep asking me what I might want for Christmas!!:eek:

Ira

seawalkersee
10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I can send someone some crappy cell phone pix of what they look like on a car if they want. I have them on the fronts of my car (on jackstands in the garage).

Chris

cudaz101
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I can send someone some crappy cell phone pix of what they look like on a car if they want. I have them on the fronts of my car (on jackstands in the garage).

Chris

Check the first page...:D

Brad

cudaz101
11-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Test wheels arrived TODAY!! Should have test fitting out of the way tomorrow.

BRAD

PS WELD RACING finally contacted me yesterday about the drag wheels. I told them to go ahead and put something together (specs & prices) and I would consider it. SO...The Million Dollar question is who would rather have a WELD Rodlite (or of the likes) instead of a Centerline??? Please answer up...

Centerline = More money but a simple bolt on option (No lug stud modifications) & they weigh more.

Weld = Less money but you have to get longer studs & they do weigh less.

Lets keep in mind that WELD Racing has not done the best job with respect to actually producing anything for me or even CONTACTING me. This is why I am a bit reluctant to even consider working with them.

Brad

Ira R.
11-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Test wheels arrived TODAY!! Should have test fitting out of the way tomorrow.

BRAD

PS WELD RACING finally contacted me yesterday about the drag wheels. I told them to go ahead and put something together (specs & prices) and I would consider it. SO...The Million Dollar question is who would rather have a WELD Rodlite (or of the likes) instead of a Centerline??? Please answer up...

Centerline = More money but a simple bolt on option (No lug stud modifications) & they weight more.

Weld = Less money but you have the get longer studs & they do weigh less.

Lets keep in mind that WELD Racing has not done the best job with respect to actually producing anything for me or even CONTACTING me. This is why I am a bit reluctant to even consider working with them.

Brad

Straight bolt on at 17lbs? Works for me.

Ira

David Neibert
11-02-2007, 05:27 PM
The straight bolt on deal for use with either of my SCs, is a big selling point with me.

David

Mike8675309
11-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Straight bolt on make sense to me.

VicRattlehead
11-03-2007, 02:13 AM
dont forget with welds you need the right lugnuts to go along with the studs.

thunderbird96
11-05-2007, 03:59 PM
weld is based out of kansas city
sence they got bought out by american racing they are not as prompt on things as they used to be.

cudaz101
11-05-2007, 04:58 PM
weld is based out of kansas city
sence they got bought out by american racing they are not as prompt on things as they used to be.

"Not As Prompt" would not even describe my exp. with them...

First of all I am not dealing with anyone from WELD Directly at this point. All of the work with WELD is done. I WAS working with an AR Associate to take care of the actual scheduling of the build for the test wheels and then actual production. So its not WELD that I have a problem with its their new owner. After almost 2 years I gave up.

Brad

David Neibert
11-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Brad,

Are you mounting some slicks and skinneys on the prototype Centerline wheels ?

David

thunderbird96
11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
oh ok i was pissed when i heard that ar took over
cause ar is a ~~~~~~ wheel

cudaz101
11-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Brad,

Are you mounting some slicks and skinneys on the prototype Centerline wheels ?

David

David,
I am looking into getting some Drag Tires in for test fit (I don't think its going to be necessary), the fit looks great and should leave plenty of room for a broad range of tire sizes. I have asked what sizes best suit most that are into drag racing and have not gotten any response.

Brad

Ira R.
11-05-2007, 08:43 PM
David,
I am looking into getting some Drag Tires in for test fit (I don't think its going to be necessary), the fit looks great and should leave plenty of room for a broad range of tire sizes. I have asked what sizes best suit most that are into drag racing and have not gotten any response.

Brad
M/T ET Streets
26x10.5-16
27x10.5-16
28x10.5-16
26x10.5-15
27x10.5-15
28x11.5-15

and
26.0x8.5-15 ET Drag
28x9.0-15 ET Drag
29.5x9.0-15 ET Drag

These are pretty much the basic tires sizes from M/T I think most people are using. We're still pretty much restricted to the 8 inch measured rim right?

I don't know about the drag radial sizes though, or any other brand. Is this what you're looking for??

Ira

cudaz101
11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks Ira...

So lets all back up a bit here.

I was told that the test fit went fine...I located am 90 Miles from the shop so some of the guys at the shop are doing the test fit on my lil brothers 90SC...So I am not as involved as I would like but anyways, it was my understanding that the test fit went fine (The front wheel fits fine).

Well I got a call from the shop today saying that there is a problem with the REAR 15X8 wheel clearing the brake calipar. Its the area of the bolt-circle that pushes in at the actual center section of the wheel. You can see it plainly in the wheel photo from the front. Anyways, it turns out I do have a bit of a challenge with fitment here. I will be on the phone with Centerline in the morning to see if there is anyway around this. We may have to switch to the Auto Drag style wheel as it has a lil differant design that may clear OK for us.

I will report back with my findings. Not good news though. I thought I was ready to place an order.

Brad

XxSlowpokexX
11-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Autodrags may be cheaper too..Is this an issue that can be grinded away?

cudaz101
11-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Autodrags may be cheaper too..Is this an issue that can be grinded away?

The Auto Drag is the same series wheel as the Telstar...There is a Auto Drag III however...Anyways, no...It is not a grinder fix. The back of the center section of the wheel would need to be machined where it makes contact.

Should know more tomorrow morning after talking to Centerline.

Brad

David Neibert
11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Brad,

I'm planning to use the following tires with these wheels (if they happen).

#18105 26.0 x 4.5 x15 Hoosier front drags

#17601 28.0 x 11.5x 15LT Hoosier Quick Time Pro (DOT)

David

PS: Here is a chart that has more info on Hoosier tires.

http://www.hoosiertire.com/specdrag.htm

Ira R.
11-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Brad,

I'm planning to use the following tires with these wheels (if they happen).

#18105 26.0 x 4.5 x15 Hoosier front drags

#17601 28.0 x 11.5x 15LT Hoosier Quick Time Pro (DOT)

David

PS: Here is a chart that has more info on Hoosier tires.

http://www.hoosiertire.com/specdrag.htm

Interesting. 10" tread. The same size M/T ET Streets are 8" treads. The QTP, are those drag radials??

Ira

David Neibert
11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Interesting. 10" tread. The same size M/T ET Streets are 8" treads. The QTP, are those drag radials??

Ira

Ira,

The Quick Time Pros are a bias ply DOT slick...much like M/T ET streets. I wanted to use these tires for a couple reasons...They have good tread width for use with an 8" wide wheel, softer compound than the Hoosier Non-DOT slicks, and the ability to race the car on street tire or slick tire test and tune sessions.

These tires should work well with either of my cars. If these drag wheels don't happen, I'll most likely go with a 16" stock SC wheel and a 9" M/T slick.

David

cudaz101
11-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Spoke with Centerline and am waiting on a further response from them.

The Auto DragIII is the next option. They are the same series wheel so they weigh the same and all that. Their center section is differant though.

I am pretty sure Dalke has already done a set of these...?? If so then I should not run into the same issue as with the Telstar unless they have changed the centers in some way.

Brad

Micahdogg
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Coy ran Convo Pros too. Damn fine looking wheel too!

cudaz101
11-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Well we are having a Auto Drag III done up. Centerline thinks it will work. Will report back asap.

Anyone interested in a full set of Telstar wheels on the cheep hit me up. You would have to make them work. Not impossible just not a bolt on and go. The two I had made were suppose to be TEST wheels but Centerline welded the centers in them. I would just order up another front and rear for whoever wants them.

Brad

David Neibert
11-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Brad,

Do you have a picture of the Auto Drag III wheel ?

David

cudaz101
11-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Brad,

Do you have a picture of the Auto Drag III wheel ?

David

Yea David...Like?? Dislike??

http://www.zoto.com/cudaz101/img/45/a02ff0998fa317bd01816373200165ad.jpg

David Neibert
11-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Not nearly as cool looking as the other one, but way better than what I'm using now.

David

Micahdogg
11-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Brad, does that one come in a 3.5 width? I could swear that Centerline did offer a couple wheels in 3.5 width.

cudaz101
11-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Yea Micah, but not in the terminator series. These are the 2-piece wheels and the narrowest is 4" wide.

Centerline makes and Auto Drag that is a 3 piece wheel in a 3.5" width though. They are also alot more money.

Brad

Ira R.
11-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Not nearly as cool looking as the other one, but way better than what I'm using now.

David

I agree with David. I would certainly not be ashamed to have them on my car.

Ira

392Bird
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Are these limited to 5 1/2 inch back spacing also?

83GT460
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Coy ran Convo Pros too. Damn fine looking wheel too!

I guess I have to ask the same question as Micah, why not run the Convo Pro as they are available in 15x4 (9lbs) with 1.75 bs & 15x9 (13lbs) with 6.5 bs & are available in 5x4.25 bolt pattern.

Charles

David Neibert
11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I guess I have to ask the same question as Micah, why not run the Convo Pro as they are available in 15x4 (9lbs) with 1.75 bs & 15x9 (13lbs) with 6.5 bs & are available in 5x4.25 bolt pattern.

Charles

What is Convo Pro ?

David

83GT460
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
What is Convo Pro ?

David

Centerline Convo Pro. Check them out on there web site www.centerlinewheels.com. Dave I would post a picture for you but I'm not sure how to do it from my phone and am not near a computer.

Charles

Ira R.
11-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Well they certainly are good looking enough. I guess I just don't understand all of the numbers they toss around though. Are they direct bolt ons or not, and at what sizes??

Oh yea, and what's the cost on a set of those? I didn'tbother to look around although I guess I could. Would anyone know offhand??

Ira

83GT460
11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Well they certainly are good looking enough. I guess I just don't understand all of the numbers they toss around though. Are they direct bolt ons or not, and at what sizes??

Oh yea, and what's the cost on a set of those? I didn'tbother to look around although I guess I could. Would anyone know offhand??

Ira

Ira I don't know if they will fit or not, but it appears that they are around 225 for fronts and 260 for rears. If I still had stock brakes and there was a chance they would fit my car I would order one front and one rear to find out. If they won't work all you lose is shipping and possibly a small restocking fee. As for me I will be test fitting the 17 inch Weld front runners to see if they will clear the Brembo Cobra R's next week.

Charles

Burbank95sc
11-09-2007, 10:01 PM
I really like the look of the first wheels that you posted,that sucks they don't work.I've already had cash saved for them but I guess I'll be doing mustang hab swap over winter time because I don't like the look of the auto drag III.So if you're getting auto drag III I'm out than.

Derek

Mike8675309
11-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I like the wheels. Old School Muscle Car wheels... I like. Back before anyone cared what your stupid old brakes looked like.

David Neibert
11-10-2007, 01:47 AM
I'd like to hear more about the Convo Pro wheels (from Brad)...I looked them up and think they look way better than the Auto III and they come in 8.5 and 9" width.

David

cudaz101
11-10-2007, 07:10 AM
not applicable.

cudaz101
11-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Ya know what...I just noticed that the 15X9 convo pro comes in a 6.5" backspace which would net plenty of offset. This might be the ticket. Dunno how I missed it...:o

I will get with Centerline on this.

Brad

392Bird
11-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Ya know what...I just noticed that the 15X9 convo pro comes in a 6.5" backspace which would net plenty of offset. This might be the ticket. Dunno how I missed it...:o

I will get with Centerline on this.

Brad

The best BS I could get to fit, was 6 to 6 1/4. Any more and you would be hitting the upper control arm.

Maybe they could mix and match the 2 pieces to come up with 6 or 6 1/4?

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/upperarm1.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/6inchbs-4.jpg

That is a 15x8 with 6 inch BS.

cudaz101
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Spoke with Coy Miller this morning. He says that they are running a 15X8 Convo-pro. Which means that they are 15X8 w/4.50" backspace which nets a ZERO offset.

So the only clearance issue would be (outer) with the fender lips. He said they had no clearance problems using a 10.50" tire.

The offset of these wheels being ZERO would be exactly the same outter position as David Neiberts Rear Coddington Smoothie wheels. They hang out a tiny bit.

So...Anyone have anything to add??? This would be a nice setup requiring no spacers and only having the challenge of fender lip rub.

Brad

XR7 Dave
11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd prefer the Convo Pro 15x9's with 6.5" BS and a 1/4" spacer. It would clear the fender better and fit the tires better. A 10" tire is borderline on an 8" wheel. Coy's wheels stuck out quite noticeably.

cudaz101
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the input Dave...

Everyone else Please Speak up!!

Brad

392Bird
11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd prefer the Convo Pro 15x9's with 6.5" BS and a 1/4" spacer. It would clear the fender better and fit the tires better. A 10" tire is borderline on an 8" wheel. Coy's wheels stuck out quite noticeably.

I also do not want any thing past the lip. 5.75 to 6.25 BS is all that I am interested in.

CurtisPaulfrey
11-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Let me know.......I'd love to find wheels for the 5x4.25

David Neibert
11-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Can the 1/4" spacers be used with stock length studs ? I don't really like how far my Boyd Coddington wheels stick out on the back.

David

XR7 Dave
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
The type of disc that the Convo Pro has just might work with the stock studs. It's pretty thin (light) compared to most wheels. Someone would have to measure.

83GT460
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
The type of disc that the Convo Pro has just might work with the stock studs. It's pretty thin (light) compared to most wheels. Someone would have to measure.

Dave the wheels are roughly 5/16 to 3/8 thick where they bolt to the hub. I believe the stock studs would be long enough to work with a 1/4 inch spacer. I have been using 1/4 inch spacers on the front of my 95 SC for the past 2 years since installing the Brembo's without issue.

Charles

Ira R.
11-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Can the 1/4" spacers be used with stock length studs ? I don't really like how far my Boyd Coddington wheels stick out on the back.

David

..........and we don't want to have to be rolling fenders. I thought the whole idea here was to get a straight bolt on replacement wheel.

I must have missed something.

Ira

cudaz101
11-13-2007, 03:34 AM
..........and we don't want to have to be rolling fenders. I thought the whole idea here was to get a straight bolt on replacement wheel.

I must have missed something.

Ira

It ALWAYS is the idea Ira & I am pretty sure everything I have had built to this point has been exactly that...Simple strait bolt on wheel options. But sometimes ya can't have everything and this case is no exception. So I suppose we can either suffer one thing or the other or forget the whole thing. Its not the way I like it but in this case it seems tough to deliver a 100% simple solution in a Drag Wheel.

Brad

cudaz101
11-13-2007, 03:38 AM
With regard to stud lengths using a .25" spacer I can supply some specific lugnuts that will resolve the issue. Its a extended shank conical lugnut that extends through the lughole of the wheel by .25" and grabs those lost threads. I have used them before and they work real nice (Piece of mind).

Brad

Ira R.
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
It ALWAYS is the idea Ira & I am pretty sure everything I have had built to this point has been exactly that...Simple strait bolt on wheel options. But sometimes ya can't have everything and this case is no exception. So I suppose we can either suffer one thing or the other or forget the whole thing. Its not the way I like it but in this case it seems tough to deliver a 100% simple solution in a Drag Wheel.

Brad

Oh I know you are doing what you can Brad. Don't misunderstand. I guess it just would have been nice for something to be simple for a change. Silly me.

Ira

David Neibert
11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Brad,

I'm getting a little confused with all this talk about backspacing and offsets. Are you checking to see if the 15" x 9" Convo Pros will work with the 1/4" spacer ?

David

cudaz101
11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Brad,

I'm getting a little confused with all this talk about backspacing and offsets. Are you checking to see if the 15" x 9" Convo Pros will work with the 1/4" spacer ?

David

David,
We already have most of what we need with regard to specs needed. As we move from one wheel series to another the contour and design of the barrel changes which can obviously change the specs required to use a specific wheel. Not making any attempt at confusing anyone...:)

I have some new information that will only stir things up more/worse than they already are. So I will wait to comment further until I know more.

We are currently working on it and should have something available soon for viewing and purchase.

Thanks for everyones interest as well as all of your input. Its been of GREAT help. This should come to a close soon.

Brad

Micahdogg
11-14-2007, 01:22 PM
All you have to worry about is the backspace and rim width. Forget offset. Just as long as you don't need spacers to calculate into the equation.

David Neibert
11-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Brad,

Any updates ?

David

cudaz101
11-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Brad,

Any updates ?

David

David and all others waiting for this to happen...We are waiting on a test fit center section which Bruce(392BIRD) should have recieved by sometime last week. I have not heard anything from him yet.

Bruce??

Brad

PS David...You did get my Email...Right??

David Neibert
11-25-2007, 05:14 PM
David and all others waiting for this to happen...We are waiting on a test fit center section which Bruce(392BIRD) should have recieved by sometime last week. I have not heard anything from him yet.

Bruce??

Brad

PS David...You did get my Email...Right??

Brad,

Yes I got your e-mail and I'm really hoping these will work on our cars.

David

392Bird
11-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Brad, I sent you 2 emails last week to Sales@thecustomwheelshop.com

Did you not receive them?

Bruce

I just PMed you with copy of email

392Bird
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Tried to PM you, its full. Email hasnt worked. I Updated that page.

Bruce

392Bird
12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
OK, here is the scoop on the wheels I was working on. They are from Hole Shot Wheels, that do custom wheels. They do basicly any width, and back space needed.

Here is there web site.
http://www.holeshotwheels.com/performance_wheels.html

They sent me a test wheel to try, and I did some testing to see what was needed.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/holeshot.htm

cudaz101
12-06-2007, 05:58 AM
I like the Holeshot wheel option.

They will drill them for us without asking for any special fees etc. Also as with most ANY drag wheel option. Once you get the wheel to where the bolt pattern is correct you come to the conclusion that spacers will be required either in the front or rear.

So IMO it comes down to this....If you want to run Drag wheels get comfortable with the idea of using spacers or don't and stick with what ya got, or pay a rediculous amount of money for Bogarts. Hey at least there ARE options...heh

The rest of my post might get confusing just because of all the findings with the two test wheels we have worked with. BRUCE btw has been a HUGE help and done an outstanding job with his test fitting photos. Thanks a bunch to him for all his efforts & time he put into this.

SO...With the Centerline wheel option, the cost is by no means cheap but it is not bad considering what it is with respect to materials used and craftsmanship. But you would have to use a spacer (.50") with the rears to clear disk brakes. The fronts however clear just fine with stock brakes. This option "considering what most late model drag racers contend with" is really not that bad of an option. SO long as we use a BILLET spacer there is really nothing to be worried about. This is what I am told from folks in the business of Drag Wheel manufacturing.

Holeshot wheels is where it gets a lil confusing because there are so many options. It is more of an ultra lite weight wheel and for the money IMO makes it worth the extra bucks.

You can go with a Basic center section and pay a reasonable price for the wheels and use Billet spacers in the front & rear. They use a shank style lugnut so there is STILL no need for longer studs. You simply use their longer lugnuts. Rear needs .50" spacer & front needs a 11/16"(.67"??) spacer.

The 11/16" spacer makes ya nervous??? Fair enough...You can have them build you a built up center section for the fronts with as much as .50" more mounting pad material. Then you would only need a 5/16" spacer. The catch is that a built up center section is NOT cheep. Cost is pretty high...You could of course also have the rear wheels built up and need NO spacers back there.

That pretty much boils it down. There are many style options and they seem to be a great bunch to work with as well. I am however NOT going to stock these wheels on my floor. There are way too many options and styles and it would make it dead tough to stock. But all the ground work is done with them and they are up to speed with out needs as well. So it should be pretty easy for anyone to get some wheels built. DO a GP or something...

Meanwhile I have a set of these Centerlines I need to get rid of...I will sell them at what they cost me to build. The would only require .50" spacers in the rears. Hit me up if you are interested in them.

Cheers,

Brad

Micahdogg
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Good work Brad and all. My only comments would be with the Holeshot, being a shank style lugnut is used, while it will probably be fine to use with stock lugs, it doesn't look like you would be able to pass tech inspection per the NHRA rules books unless you installed longer studs.

I think all of the Centerline options are NHRA legal with stock studs and stock lug nuts. Centerline always sounded like the more user friendly option to me.

cudaz101
12-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Good work Brad and all. My only comments would be with the Holeshot, being a shank style lugnut is used, while it will probably be fine to use with stock lugs, it doesn't look like you would be able to pass tech inspection per the NHRA rules books unless you installed longer studs.

I think all of the Centerline options are NHRA legal with stock studs and stock lug nuts. Centerline always sounded like the more user friendly option to me.

I am not up to speed with NHRA rules at all. I would only add that John @ Holeshot said that his late model GTO & Mustang customers were running the extended shank lugnuts with their stock studs due to the thickness of the spacers being somewhat thick. He never said it was NHRA legal however.

Regardless thats the information I was able to gather. I can still have the Centerline wheels done up, but I still won't stock them unless I have a substantial commitment from interested members. IMO the Telstar is still a good option even with the .50" rear spacer.

SO....Lets see a show of hands for either wheel option you favor along with why and how you would option the Holeshot wheel if that is your choice.

Something like...

HOLESHOT with the built up centers in the front & rear. Because of weight, style, etc...

Brad

Ira R.
12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
So let me see if I understand this. A basic wheel option on the Holeshots for the rear let's say would be to get the basic center section and the spacer and they would bolt right on in place of the stock wheels? Is that correct? Or were there different sizes or widths that I didn't see anywhere.

I don't think we have any pricing yet on them either, so any information about that would be helpful as well.

Ira

cudaz101
12-06-2007, 07:36 PM
So let me see if I understand this. A basic wheel option on the Holeshots for the rear let's say would be to get the basic center section and the spacer and they would bolt right on in place of the stock wheels? Is that correct? Or were there different sizes or widths that I didn't see anywhere.

Yes Ira, that is one option. The option I personally would use is a built up center section (.50") with no spacer in the rear. But thats a moot point really. Ether one will work but as Micah mentioned with respect to NHRA rules, it may or may not be within the rules.

I don't think we have any pricing yet on them either, so any information about that would be helpful as well.

[I]I think John @ Holeshot will treat you guys right if you team up and buy as a group. Sounded like a pretty agressive discount that Bruce was talking about.I]

Hope that clears a few things up for you Ira & anyone else trying to make sense of this.

Brad

VicRattlehead
12-06-2007, 08:20 PM
re spacers and nhra. they HAVE to be either LUGcentric or HUBcentric none of the generic oval shaped multi hole spacers are legal.

lugnut/lugstud the stud has to thread into the hex portion of the lugnut no less then half the diameter of the lug stud. so if the stud is 1/2 inch in diameter then the stud must thread into the hex portion of the lugnut no less then 1/4 inch.

cudaz101
12-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks Keith...I understand the rule now.

If the wheels are built as I suggested: Built up Rears require no spacers. Builtup fronts require 5/16" spacer. Go with the billet spacers that Holeshot provides and I am sure you will be legal. Its what these guys at Holeshot do, so I would have to assume they did their homework. Long as you tell them you HAVE to be NHRA legal I am sure they can appease that. I can't say enough, how easy these guys are to work with.

If anyone is interested in their products (I strongly recomend them) then contact them and run all this by them. I am sure they will be more than happy to help. However they are at a show this week so contacting them for the week could be a problem or not...

Brad

VicRattlehead
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
However they are at a show this week so contacting them for the week could be a problem or not...

Brad

yep PRI in florida runs til saturday.