PDA

View Full Version : Help, I can't get it up!

Sharon Silver
10-09-2007, 01:18 PM
My bird's been down for a month now because I keep running into little problems that set me back a week at a time. I need answers to three questions: 1. I have an oil sending unit to convert the gauge from idiot to functional but it doesn't fit in the space. What is the correct part number for the conversion oil sender? 2. Does the little pipe that the current sender screws into need to be removed to get the new sender on? 3. If I run with the bolt removed from the mount on the middle of the lower intake tube, what can I expect to have happen? Thanks.

Jeremy_K
10-09-2007, 01:24 PM
That bolt is not very important. I ran without it for a very long time before I found one in my garage that would fit it. I have an autometer oil psi gauge which came with it's own sending unit. I unscrewed the stock sender from that stem that sticks out and the autometer sender threaded right in there. I had to cock it at an angle so it cleared the power steering bracket and the water pump since it's quite a bit larger than the stock one. the metal plate behind the power steering pump can be removed since it's in the way and is not really needed.

cbt
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
on the lower IC tube behind the power steering pump ,if thats the one your talking about - it will work just fine without that mount point ,bolted.
mines not being used either ,no problems

Sharon Silver
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't want to run an after market gauge so if someone can give me that part number I'd sure appreciate it. Jeremy, you refer to a "metal plate behind the power steering pump." Do you mean the plate that bolts to the face of the pump bracket and then to the water pump or the bracket behind the pump that the middle of the lower intake tube mounts on?

MSG419
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Adding the aftermarket gauge is a good idea, cause the factory ones tell you nothing. You'll have to rotate the tube the sender screws into a little bit toward the front of the engine for the new sender to fit in. removing the serpentine belt gives you s little more working room to wiggle the sender in.
Thread size should be the same. Wrap some teflon tape around the threads to help stop leaking.
Also, you'll need to ground out the OEM sending wire or you'll get a check engine light.

Now you need to do the water temp gauge, if you don't already have it.

Good luck,
Mark

fturner
10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I would not drop out the plate that runs from the front of the water pump to the power steering pump. The PS pump and alternator puts a big pulling load on the belt, and without that plate there, then the head itself is taking all that load from the accessory bracket, and god we got enough problems keeping the heads down as it is.

For the bracket mount underneath holding the lower IC tube... that was an engineers attempt at humour I think. So long as you can bolt up the upper tube to the bracket next to the alternator, then that bottom isn't needed cause the upper can take the load for the IC tubes and IC itself.

I've got my stock and an aftermarket oil pressure sender mounted up with room to spare.

Young-SC-Owner
10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
no comment on the title....:D

Id also like part #''s for the sender for my car also