rear trac-lok durability

mywhite89

Well one way or another I ended up breaking the trac-lock on my differential. 30% more boring to drive. Just getting some opinions if this is just a wierd thing that I broke the posi or am I making too much horsepower for the stock diff setup.

I'm trying to decide if I should use the extra complete 8.8 pumpkin that I have or if I should just do the full rebuild to the stock unit with better parts. Hate to keep breaking stuff and wasting decent stock parts. Plus I like running the stock 2.73 gears, no reason to switch in my opinion.

Chris

First you need to see if you actually broke it or if you just burnt up the clutches.If it's just the clutches then just get the upgraded clutches and stack them in the alternate method then buy a f150 spring and you should be good to go.There is numerous people in the 12's and some in the 11's that still use the stock trac lock.So you should be good.

Jay

First you need to see if you actually broke it or if you just burnt up the clutches.If it's just the clutches then just get the upgraded clutches and stack them in the alternate method then buy a f150 spring and you should be good to go.There is numerous people in the 12's and some in the 11's that still use the stock trac lock.So you should be good.

Jay

Thanks for the information. I'm not very knowledgable in this field but I didn't hear anything break so you may be right about worn out clutches.

The only real down side to the factory trac-lock is that it wears out and you have to rebuild the clutch pack. If you hit a track often, especially a road course, you can find yourself rebuilding the thing often.

For a street/strip guy that his the track maybe 4 or 5 times a season then you will rebuild it once and last a long time.

People that get serious will get a trac-lock that doesn't have wear clutches. Eaton has one, Detroit Locker, Auburn.

Back