nitrous or alcohol injection...

johnrada

i've read up on both of these but...is using nitrous a replacement for cooling air just like alcohol injection? I know they work in MUCH different ways of cooling the air and creating power etc, but let's hear some user opinions...

Nitrous costs more, is more finicky, but when done right gives you more power.
Alcohol is usually methanol in a 50% or less concentration. Thus you can use -20 Windshield washer fluid and Heet fuel line antifreeze. i.e. it's cheap and less finicky than Nitrous.

Nitrous is an oxygenator. It releases large amounts of oxygen into the engine, so in turn you can dial in a lot more fuel to make extra power. Methanol is more of a chemical intercooler, although it does have some high octane properties that will generate a bit of extra oomph too. If you're looking for pure power at the drag strip, go with nitrous.

For the strip N2O will give you more power but you usually can't run it leagaly on the street. Alky injection is good if you want to run alot of boost that would normally make you run race gas for the octane inhancement, and you only inject it when you need it at hard acceleration. Alky is alot cheaper, easier to come by, run it on the street leagally.

How about a mixture of Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide?

Any catalyst mixed with a HyroCarbon will form spectator ions aka a precipitate. In other terms, they won't mix or dissolve. Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) is a catalyst which extinguishes any flame on contact.

You can't compare N2O to methanol injection. They aren't similar.

N20 is a power adder and Methanol injection allows you to run more octane to decrease possible detonation. They both, however, lower the intake charge.

Last edited:
That's what I was looking for, I know they are completely different but the key words here being lower the intake charge is what i'm looking for. So far it looks like alcohol is safer/cheaper/more legal. Looks like i got some new plans for next year :rolleyes:

Do that and a 94/95 blower.(if you have an older one) a cam from xr7dave. And a agressively timed chip(of course make sure it is running correctly together) If your motor is still strong that thing should move along prettywell!!!

I would also consider a cold air intake that should be worth 10hp alone. if you port your blower it's said to be up to 25extrahp along with what it already brings.

Last edited:
i got an mpx, my mods are in my members page. i might have to get a little bit bigger injectors though, and by might i mean yes.

I would say a 480-500"lift cam, port your heads. And I would put roller rockers on it will it's apart. And ya make sure it is running right! Oh and changing your gears is supposed to give 1 sec. a 50hp shot is worth 1 sec. A 100hp shot is worth almost 2 sec.

Last edited:
i have a pair of 3.27s from an automatic SC that i have, those will go in shortly, i want the car to be completely streetable still.

anyways, i still want to have the stock internals, taking this thing apart was not very fun and the reason for this post is kind of so i can get some more major gains out of it without having to pull it piece by piece again :(

Ya kinda a nightmare but that is were your major gains are at. probably around 75-100hp
I believe dont quote me,You can run 500" lift max with stock springs

Last edited:
Back