Power loss over night! Hmmmm

posjr

Yesterday morning the car felt it just lost power. Boost is good. Tune up 2months ago. Everthing.

I did WOT it the night before yesterday. No smoke and or smell. Eshaust sounds quiter as while. Oil look still new. Have only put 400miles after tune up.

What i think is the problem is after searching a bit. My plugs. I did use bosch plugs which i'm hearing is a no no. I'm going to pull some out tonihgt and take alook!

Another thing. I did the 185 tstat and wire trick on the fan which is always on. Temp never gets to N. So i think i'm runnin rich as while!

Something else that crossed my mind. I did put cheap gas the other day. 91 but was at one of this unknown places.

Last edited:
your exhaust sounds quieter ?
--clogged cats ?
--is it somewhat muffled ?
--do u have poor throttle response

if your plugs were that bad you should be missing badly. i would suggest using motocraft, autolite or even NGK's. people around here usually stay away from bosch. if they dont look at all normal, get em out. please tell me u didnt put the bosch +4's in there !! oh god !!:D

let us know how they look.

Is there something wrong with Bosch plugs? I've used the Bosch Platniums before and nothing seemed wrong. Can someone elaborate about this?

People have tried using those bosch plugs that have 2 or 3 different spots where they fire. They do not work well with our cars. Stock plugs are the way to go unless your car makes higher boost. In that case you can run a 1 point cooler heat range plug like the Autolite 103's. From what I've read, Bosch's are not a favorite spark plug.

If you have a 5-speed put it in 5th gear at about 50mph and floor it. Obviously you wont accelerate fast but it should be smooth. If you can feel the car missing under a heavy load like that, then it is possible you have a spark plug or wire issue.

A vaccum leak will make your car run rich, just an fyi.

Last edited:
So i put shell gas in and got some power back as while as sound. I quess i got a bad batch of gas. I'm still going to drop the eshaust and pull plugs out and change motor mounts. Going to start in like 20mins after this Full Throttle kicks in. lol

i'll take a pix of the plugs when i plull them out!

The plugs where fine. Still look new. normal wear. I still took them all out and put the 103 autolites with 0.40 gap.

I can take a pix if anybody want to see them?

Also pulled exashet system out and damn three cats

Fule pressure test 39 roughly. Took about three cranks of the key to build it to 39. And this is after i bleed the line. I would think after you bleed the line for air it would build up straight to 39 psi on the first try. (not starting on, turning to the on postion)

Perhaps Bosch O2 sensors sending skewed info to EEC.
Been there. Next time try NGK or Denso's O2's from sparkplugs.com
(not a fan of Bosch O2's)

Something I have noticed that gets overlooked alot but has a huge effect on performance is the position of your TV cable. If it is out of adjustment it will make your car sluggish and will give an automatic car a feeling of losing overdrive. the car I just sold and the one I just picked up last weekend both required adjustment of the cable. Once that was done they ran great. Only takes a couple of minutes to do with a screwdriver and pays off big if it's needed.

IF you are going to adjust the tv cable, do it right and get pressure gauges on it. Don't just hack it because it doesn't feel right, or your not going to have AOD long if you adjust it out too far... these things are very sensitive that way.

Standard Bosch plugs only have platinum on the tip. That causes a problem with our cars because of the waste fire system we have, which means current flows normally from the tip to the ground electrode, and on the waste fire it flows from the ground electrode to the tip. This causes the Bosch plugs to go bye bye very quickly.

he has a 5-speed so it won't have a tv cable.

I put a set of bosch platinum plugs in my car ($1.99) and they sucked. It was missing after 3 months. Anytime I went into boost it would buck and shake badly.

The bosch plugs have tiny little electrodes. It's amazing they even spark without getting blow out in a boosted engine. I have used the copper ones and they lasted longer than the plats. The copper ones have a big fat electrode. Now I only run autolite's (103) and they work great. Copper plugs but since I am going to run nitrous one of these days if my car ever runs, I will stick with copper plugs. I get about a year and a half life out of them.

Back