Brake problems, no ABS, sometimes rock hard pedal

rev

Last Saturday I was at an american Ford meeting, drove like 350 kms. I already know that ABS isnt working, doesnt work since I bought the car.
When I hit the brake, the ANTILOCK and the brake light flashed for a second, then dissapers. Also, I had power brakes till we started going home. Then all of a sudden, coasting around 50 mph, both of those lights came on, and power brakes gone. After a few mins, they dissapeard, and had power brakes again. Few mins later they came on again, and didnt have power brakes for a while. Its kinda random. Sometimes I have power brakes for a day, and the other day I dont have any at all. I also noticed I can only lock the front wheels no matter how hard I slam the brakes even with power brakes.
With power brakes the pedal feels OK, not falling in and stuff, but sometimes I feel I can knock it, like theres air in the system, but the other time its completely normal. Any useful ideas? Thanks

Brake problems

I just finished going through something similar on my '89. Sometimes ABS light, hard pedal etc, othertimes OK. Be careful driving it that way, since if the ABS drops out and the pedal is hard you have only front brakes i.e. no hydraulic pressure going to the back brakes at all. My problem turned out to be only a bad wire connection to the main solenoid valve connector. Sometimes contact, sometimes not. Have the ABS codes read to pinpoint the problem. Cost me $40 to have dealer do it, but it saves a lot of time, false starts and potentially money since some of the ABS stuff is really expensive. Many threads on this subject exist.
Gerry

It is usually a bad relay under the hood by the eec test port. There are a couple relays there and I'm not sure which one it is, but duffy knows as he pointed it out to me. Fortunately I had two sc's then, so i grabbed the relay on the other car, plugged it in, and presto...fixed. For the long term fix I just hustled a used relay down off these boards for like $5. With yours coming in and out, it might just need the contacts cleaned up.

Rev,
This is the best article and source of information around for diagnosing and fixing your ABS system. It is probably something simple as Micah mentioned, but this will point you in the right direction.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html

If you need parts, the relays, accumulator ball, and even rebuilt master cylinders are all available. Let us know what you need and we can direct you to the proper suppliers.

What year SC?

Thanks Kevin for the nice words concerningthe article I wrote several years ago now.

Usually the bad relay is not going to give you both the Amber Anti-Lock Light AND Red Brake Light.

Need to know what year SC you have before I can suggest further things to check.

I had same problem with the lights and hard brake pedal and it was the antilock relay. I've had two go on me in the years I had my 90 sc. I would say, sounds like that's the problem.

Duffy, thank you for writing the article several years ago. I'm just glad it's available online since I can never find my CT with the article in it. In his posts a few months ago on the New Owner's Forum he mentions having a '90 SC. I believe it is the same car.

Rev,
This is the best article and source of information around for diagnosing and fixing your ABS system. It is probably something simple as Micah mentioned, but this will point you in the right direction.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html

If you need parts, the relays, accumulator ball, and even rebuilt master cylinders are all available. Let us know what you need and we can direct you to the proper suppliers.
Thanks, will check it tomorrow.

Back