Odometer Replacement . . .

ThunderTurkey

Time to replace the Odometer wheel on my '93, so I bought a whole cluster gauge panel. Trouble is, I have NO idea how to REMOVE the gauge panel from my dashboard! Did I read that you also have to drop the steering column??? ANY advice would be appreciated! Thanks!:confused:

Here's how to do an 89; a 93 should be similar:

- Remove the headlamp switch knob.
- Remove the two phillips-head screws attaching the I/P bezel. These are located near the top front edge of the bezel, vertically, on the underside above the cluster opening. They attach the bezel to the top (horizontal) dash panel.
- Carefully pull the bezel toward you from the driver's position. Work around the perimeter a little at a time. The bezel is retained with steel snap-in clips. You don't want to distort or break them off.
- After the bezel is free, lower the tilt column all the way down, and pull the bezel top towards you as you rotate the bottom free.
- While the bezel is free, disconnect the autolamp wiring on the left (if equipped).
- Remove the bezel from the car, exposing the gage cluster.
- Remove the four hex/phillips screws (one near each corner) retaining the cluster to the dash chassis.
- Gently pull the cluster forward so that you can reach behind.
- Reach behind the cluster, and remove the two wiring harness connectors (one each side), and the boost gage line (push-on fitting). Use care with the boost line so you don't kink or break it.
- Remove the cluster from the vehicle.

- Reverse steps to install.

Good Luck,

JD

Here's how to do an 89; a 93 should be similar:
- Remove the cluster from the vehicle.
- Reverse steps to install.
Good Luck,
JD

:eek: WOW! Those instructions are EXCELLENT! My greatest fear is loosening wires with my big hands behind the cluster when removing. I'm ready to give it a try. THANKS!
:D:)

just pop out the speedo gauge and plug in the new speedo gauge, no need to remove the whole cluster just to change speedo gauge.

just pop out the speedo gauge and plug in the new speedo gauge, no need to remove the whole cluster just to change speedo gauge.

If you choose to go that route...

- Don't remove the four fasteners holding the cluster assembly to the dash frame.
- Instead, remove the screws that retain the cluster lens to the cluster chassis. I think there are 6 or 8; can't remember for sure.
- Lift off the lens.
- Pull straight out on the speedometer gage to disengage from the cluster chassis.

However, I find it easier to remove the cluster assembly and work on the bench. It's a good opportunity to check/replace any burned out lamps, clean the gage faces, etc. I always find something extra to do whenever I start any project. That's why it always takes me 3X as long!

JD

- Don't remove the four fasteners holding the cluster assembly to the dash frame.
- Instead, remove the screws that retain the cluster lens to the cluster chassis.
I think there are 6 or 8; can't remember for sure.
- Lift off the lens.
- Pull straight out on the speedometer gage to disengage from the cluster chassis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I always find something extra to do whenever I start any project.
That's why it always takes me 3X as long! -JD
:D OOooooo . . . that's ANOTHER great idea! I can replace motherboards in laptops all day every day, but when it comes to behind-the-dash stuff with my car, I have ten thumbs. MOSTLY because there are no directions on how to do things like even removing the headlight switch knob. Yeah, now would be a good time to clean/replace the scratched lens and pop in a new lightbulb. Thanks again for the info!! :D

Back