TPS voltage?

Ok i'm trying to check my TPS voltage and i have the directions from this site on how to do it:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/tps.php

My problem is on my Multimeter there are 17 different switches (2, 20, 200, 1000, 2m, 200k, 20k, 2k, 9v, 1.5v etc...) and i don't know which one i'm suppose to use? i checked the readings for every swith and none were anywhere near .97. I know i need to adjust it i just do not know what swith my multimeter is suppose to be turned to?

EDIT:

I thought it would be the 2v switch but that gave me a reading of .5, that can't be good lol?

Last edited:

My problem is on my Multimeter there are 17 different switches (2, 20, 200, 1000, 2m, 200k, 20k, 2k, 9v, 1.5v etc...) and i don't know which one i'm suppose to use? i checked the readings for every swith and none were anywhere near .97. I know i need to adjust it i just do not know what swith my multimeter is suppose to be turned to?

EDIT:

I thought it would be the 2v switch but that gave me a reading of .5, that can't be good lol?

You are a good candidate for an auto-ranging vom. The number you set is the top voltage you expect to read. Since a tps range is 0 to 5 v, you want to set your meter to the 20 scale.

I'v always used to 2v setting. On mine, the next highest setting dosenty get as exact with the under 1v thing... Try setting it on 2v, and see what happens. make sure your on middle wire and you are grounded. just move it around until you see .97 ;)

i read the directions but the only way i could get to the voltage to be where it was suppose to be was to open the throttle almost half way open. (I have the multimeter at 2v) But when it's like this my car will start but shut off so i am really confused on how to get it to .97 then make it stay like that so my car runs the way it should!

it should be no problem with the TB you have. you bolt the TPS in blace, and loosen the allen head screw on the top, and you can rotate the tps around in different directions.. once you have spun it enough in a certain difection and find .97 just tighten it up...

also at 3/4 throttle it should be way higher then .97..... .97 is goign to the lowest part of your throttle, and Wide open will be around 5v..

it should be no problem with the TB you have. you bolt the TPS in blace, and loosen the allen head screw on the top, and you can rotate the tps around in different directions.. once you have spun it enough in a certain difection and find .97 just tighten it up...

also at 3/4 throttle it should be way higher then .97..... .97 is goign to the lowest part of your throttle, and Wide open will be around 5v..

How can you rotate the tps when there are two screws holding it in place? Maybe i think the TPS is something else lol? because there is no allen head screw on my TPS the only allen head screw is on the other side of the TB the keeps the TB open to a certain angle

tps.jpg

just for future reference it doesnt really need to be .97 or .98 spot on. Your ECM automatically zeros out the voltage when you shut off the key. Say its at .90v then the ECM will see that and automatically set .90v as the no throttle voltage. Only when its far off does it really matter. You could also go to WOT on the throttle body and check to see if its around 5v.

If you ever have irratic idling problems, check the voltage output at this sensor with closed throttle and slowly opened to WOT. Should be a nice smooth constant increase in voltage up to just under 5 volts. irratic behavior would indicate a bad sensor. I use 20 DC checking any voltage output on the car, works perfect. Everything automotive is based off a 12 volt system anyways. Keeps it from getting confusing.

Yeaa.. When i ha dmy stock Tb and had to change the tps, I cheated and twisted the part of the Tb that goes into the censor around a bit until it read the right voltage when bolted in placee.. worked like a charm...I know this way only works with the PP TB, but thats what he has soo0o0o0.. I IM'd him on AIM last night and helped him get it all sorted out :eek:

Back