need help on fixing a SC.

ncoop23

I have the option to buy a 91 or 92 SC don't recall which year but it has problems. After blowing a head gasket it was driven about 20 miles and when it overheated it would get shut off. Before these problems it was a mid 14 second car but now after it was fixed there is a massive vac leak and now its shooting smoke out the tail pipes. I drove it about 20 miles and it was smoking really bad and wanting to die all the time. When the car goes over 2kish rpm it will run decent but below it runs like crap and sounds like PUB-PUB-PUB-PUB-PUB-PUB really loud. It has a low restriction exhaust with shorties on it. Any ideas on whats wrong with it and if all else fails could I part it out for more than $500? Would it be possible for anyone to help me take a look at it to help figure out whats wrong with it?

That multi over heating thing would make me question even reusing the heads at all.... What did you do to fix everything would help everyone help you?

I gather it's not overheating now but runs like crap. Vac leaks are pretty easy to fix on these cars. Big leak points are the ic tubes, especially the lower tube at the ic connection. Also the pcv valve vac line.

If the cam sensor shaft was removed when the head gaskets were changed it may not have been aligned right and the timing could be way off making it run like crap.

This might work better, can I have somebodys phone number and explain to them whats going on because before I put any money in it I want to know if its worth fixing it or just part it out.

So it was driven 20 miles after it blew a head gasket? If that is the case I would say the bottom end is shelled out. I didnt drive my car at all after HG blew but after 3 oil changes and filters the motor went out with spun bearings. Anti freeeze is death to bearings Hope thats not the case with you

Ken

Double-check the firing order of the spark plug wires where they plug into the coil pack. I think that #5 and #6 are backwards from what you would expect. Also, you should check for spark at all the plugs. The easiest way is, with the car off, unplug one of the wires at the coil pack. If the idle gets worse, then that cylinder was probably firing ok. If it does not change, then that particular plug was probably not firing to begin with. After you check that one, shut the car down, plug that wire in, and unplug another one.

About the bearings - you could have a bearing problem, but not necessarily. My mom was driving my old 3.8 Base Model Thunderbird when the HGs went, and she kept driving it because she just didn't know. (Oops!) Anyway, the bearings did not suffer too much from it. It's been going for almost 70,000 miles since the HGs were replaced.

If it's smoking what does it smell like? Gotta be 1 of three things,

1. running extremely rich indicating a major vaccum leak, or spark plugs possibly not firing or firing out of order causing unburned fuel to be forced out. White smoke.

2. White smoke, either the headgaskets are leaking again or you are still blowing crap out of the exhaust from the original problem.

3.Oil burning out of the exhaust indicating internal engine problems. Oil is somehow making its way to the combustion chamber. Stinky smoke.

Narrow that down for us.

Last edited:
By the way, a mixed-up firing order can cause a "Cylinder Bank Lean" code in the computer, even if you have overheated cats and a gasoline smell from the exhaust. That is because the oxygen sensors can't test for the presence or absence of fuel. They infer rich or lean conditions based on the amount of oxygen. If the fuel isn't sparked and doesn't burn, neither does the oxygen. The O2 sensor sees too much oxygen and the computer commands full rich in an attempt to balance the mixture. Hence, you get a REALLY rich mixture in the cats and they will glow fairly quickly.

Also, you should check for spark at all the plugs. The easiest way is, "-with the car off-":eek:, unplug one of the wires at the coil pack. If the idle gets worse, then that cylinder was probably firing ok. If it does not change, then that particular plug was probably not firing to begin with. After you check that one, shut the car down

He means with the car running....

hehe i got your back S mazza:D

Back