Upshift light ?

Ironsam63

My upshift light doesn't function. When I turn the key to ON the light is on (engine off), but when I drive and I can red line the tach and the light NEVER goes on. What should I check/replace to make it function? Thanks.

5spd or auto?

The auto's will kick in around 4800 RPM I think (could be higher) but I have heard of some 5spd's using it and others don't. Since your doesn't, I think you can turn it on if you have an EEC Tuner or chip or something like that.

Sorry, its a 89 5speed. With it being manual it has to have this option, Right? It does have a bulb in there, and it goes on before I start the car, but doesn't function while driving.

Run 4th gear to redline and it will come on. :D

It's not a suggestive shift light like some cars have (usually cars with no tach).

Its also installed for the auto's so you don't balloon the TC... which reminds me.. time to start looking around for a custom TC :D

Sorry, its a 89 5speed. With it being manual it has to have this option, Right? It does have a bulb in there, and it goes on before I start the car, but doesn't function while driving.

I have an 89 5-speed, and it doesn't have the light either; not enabled on my car. Interestingly, in my 89 automatic car, it functioned.

Not sure why you'd want the upshift light anyway??

JD

I have an 89 5-speed, and it doesn't have the light either; not enabled on my car. Interestingly, in my 89 automatic car, it functioned.

Not sure why you'd want the upshift light anyway??

JD

Must not have gone fast enough. My auto even turns it on high up in 3rd near 120 mph.

I was just wondering if something was not connected or if something was bad, because i've seen in other cars ( not SC's )that it goes on in every gear if you get high on the RPM's

Try this, get out on a lonely stretch of road. Throw the car in 4th and get on the gas pretty good. Run it up over 4000 rpms. The light should come on somewhere before 5000 rpms. If you have stock gears you will be flying at that speed. Close to 140 mph. Light will come on I promise you.

Auto's, put it in D and get going near 120 mph it will come on.

It would be nice for it to be a suggestive shift lamp. and program it at whatever rpms we want.

It may be able to be done with a tune, but you'd have to check with XR7 Dave for that. I know they can simulate a two-step by using the speed sensor. So at 0 you floor it and it only revs to say 3500, but once you launch the car and the sensor reads speed it then it will rev up to the set rev limiter.

I put a shift light in my auto sc, it's got a dial on back I can set it wherever I want.

It would be nice for it to be a suggestive shift lamp. and program it at whatever rpms we want.

screw that &*$# i had that retarded light in a 4cyl s-10 it came on at the stupidest times.. I guess it wanted you to shift at 2000rpm when you had no power whatsoever!! dam thing would come on in 5th gear at about 75mph(if you could find a big enough hill to go DOWN)

It suggests you shift for best fuel economy. Even if it puts the little anemic 4 cyl out of the powerband, at least you can enjoy the fuel consumption. :D

Must not have gone fast enough. My auto even turns it on high up in 3rd near 120 mph.

I've been fast enough. My automatic car came on at interstate speeds at higher RPM's (I think around 4500). I had my 5-speed car upwards of 135 MPH once when I brought it home, stretching it out in each gear. No light. If I have to beat on it any harder than that to get it to turn on, then I'll never see that light...

JD

My upshift light doesn't function. When I turn the key to ON the light is on (engine off), but when I drive and I can red line the tach and the light NEVER goes on. What should I check/replace to make it function? Thanks.

Not seeing the light is a good thing. As already mentioned it's not a shift indicator. It's actually a warning, telling you to upshift (to reduce rpms) and failure to do so will result in fuel and ignition cutbacks in about 20 seconds, to force lower rpms to keep from damaging the motor. I've never kept the thing lite for more than a few seconds, so I don't know what really happens if you ignore the light for more than 20 seconds.

Don't recall seeing it since changing to SCT/Dave Dalke for tuning.

David

Back