putting new refridgerent in old system?

stempak

trying to get my A/C system working. Can I just put the new refriderent r134 in it, Without changing anything and no problems?

It will work in the very short term then it will frag your system rendering it useless. order some ES-12a , service it with that. it is compatible & will cool better than 134.

$600.00 you should be able to do three cars.

I've been using R134a in my 90 for three years now. It doesn't cost $600.00 to convert an R12 system. It's about $200 and change. You system has to be drained and/or if your system is empty it has to be sucked dry (evacuated) by a vacuum for about 15-30 minutes, then recharged.

It's not a big deal, but if you have a weak point in your system, you will know.

ya and the car is 17years old, Maybe I'll just get it working if I can then slowly replace everything cause It's nice have /need it for the short summer's 90+ degress gets hot.

Walmart do a conversion kit to r134a, you get the adapters, oil charge, stop leak and the gas.
I took one back to the UK for my 89 SC, Works fine but not as cold as the original, r12 i think. :)

Walmart do a conversion kit to r134a, you get the adapters, oil charge, stop leak and the gas.
I took one back to the UK for my 89 SC, Works fine but not as cold as the original, r12 i think. :)

No it's not nearly as cold as freon but gets pretty cold/cold enough for me. I guess I could get the system working with it, Make sure it is good. And then put freon in it at $100 per pound!

Do yourself a favor and research my old posts regarding A/C. There are complete descriptions on what needs to be done to make it work right with R134a. I am an ASE certified A/C tech and have retrofitted hundreds of Fords to R134a and when done PROPERLY they get as cold and last as long as a R12 system. Feel free to pm me with any questions I can help you with. Garry

Yup.. what garsc said.. :) However, I'd add "Ix-nay on the ealer-say" if you plan to keep the car. That crap may plug a leak, but will foul your whole system if anything has to be removed in the future.

BTW, pig-latin translation: Nix the sealer

Oh.. and garsc, I couldn't get red to take more than about 2 cans of r134. red has the newer condenser (6mm tubes), orings sealed with nylog, and it cycles, but my vent temps are only high 40s on recirculate. I think it should do better. Whats the max high pressure you go to? Is 380psi on a 100 degree day OK? I'm thinking I have little to loose... compressors are rather cheap.

Last edited:
Yup.. what garsc said.. :) However, I'd add "Ix-nay on the ealer-say" if you plan to keep the car. That crap may plug a leak, but will foul your whole system if anything has to be removed in the future.

BTW, pig-latin translation: Nix the sealer

Oh.. and garsc, I couldn't get red to take more than about 2 cans of r134. red has the newer condenser (6mm tubes), orings sealed with nylog, and it cycles, but my vent temps are only high 40s on recirculate. I think it should do better. Whats the max high pressure you go to? Is 380psi on a 100 degree day OK? I'm thinking I have little to loose... compressors are rather cheap.

Sound like an over charge situation or poor fan operation or a bad condensor. 380 on the high side what is the pressure on the low side?Does the high side drop when you run a water hose on the condensor? If it does you have a condensor related problem. Our cars are super sensetive to this because we dont have a large open grill.

Back