180000 Mi Head gaskets: gone Low end :Too??

madison

I just replaced the heater core and it looks like I need to do the head gaskets. It seems my reward for doing the heater core was to start the thing up and see water now comming out of the exhaust pipes. My question is if I asume I have 180000 mi.on my 1990 SC can I expect I will soon lose the low end too? When I replace the head gaskets I plan to go through the heads and I wonder if the low end will take the strain of a fresh top end. The car runs great. It feels tight and is quiet. Are there some tell tail signs that may signal that I am in for doing the whole thing before I get started?

Mine went 182-183k on the originals, and now it's at 255k with felpro's and new bolts. With the new HG's, I drained the oil and refilled it, ran it for 10 minutes, and drained it and changed the filter again. Been fine since. I don't drive it hard, but it has been down the track a few times since then and all over the country. Until recently this car has been the most dependable one I've EVER owned.

When the head gaskets went they more than likely took out the heater core by over pressuring the system.The bottom end is a crap shoot, myself I would just re do the whole engine.The price of a top end gasket set isnt cheap let alone tearing it apart twice. Do you feel lucky......:D

Back