My SC is giving out!

gcortes80

I NEED HELP!!!

My 1990 SC turns off on me every day. EXAMPLE: I got in my car one night after class and my car would not go on. It would crank but it would not go on. I worry that one day my car will not go on for ever. It's even turned off me while on the freeway. When it started going off it was like a sputter. I ended up turning it off cause I knew it was going to go out. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY BABY? AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO? Luckily I was in the slow lane when it began giving out. I've changed the starter thinking that was the problem and that didn't help. I also got the ignition switch changed because I read there had been a recall on them. Can anyone offer any advise on how to remidy the problem?

GCortes

Sounds like your crank position sensor is shot.
When the car won't start, if the upshift arrow on your dash stays lit while you are cranking it over, then you will know for sure that it's the crank sensor. If it is working properly, the upshift arrow will light momentarily when you turn the key and crank the engine over to start the car, then go out.
Crank position sensor is around $55.00
For someone to install it...around $65.00

Sounds like the crank sensor to me

PS: Your upshift light should never come on when cranking, even if your crank sensor is still good

I agree with tazer

sounds exactly like what mine did when my crank sensor went bad. i'd be driving the car would die and maybe be two hours before it would start( guess it took a while to cool off) My ^shift light never came on while cranking nor does it ever come on ( only time i've seen it was in fourth gear about 125-130mph.)

Same thing happened to my '91 SC. Twice in the same day while driving. One of which was on the freeway also. My was the crank position sensor. Is was about $55. I put a new one in and it's been running great since.

THANKS

Thanks for the advice guys.:D The Bird is in the shop and I'll have it tonight when I go to school. I'll find out then if it gives me more problems.:confused: I'll let you guys know if it works. (Although I'm sure it will.):D By the way...the attached photo is my kid...he is the whole reason I wanted to fix my bird. Thanks!!

Back