Anyone here used water based auto paint??

scbird1

Im trying to find a way I can paint my car myself as its not going to be worth as much as a paint job these days after all is said and done. I found a company that has some great looking paints but I have never used anything like this before. Check it out >

http://www.autoaircolors.com/

Last edited:
cant see the thread but ive heard water based auto paint sucks Ive also heard the dupont refinishes from auto part stores suck as well your best bet is go to an auto body supply shop they may have a deal on a brand of good stuff ...back when I was painting cars all we ever used was PPG and house of Kolor

I had my sc painted in the autoair sparklescent nightmare blue with really mixed results. I absolutely love the color, and I mean love it. I couldnt imagine my car any other color. but the auto shop I took my car to did such a horrible job preping my car that I really need to get the car repainted. My car started out white. the paint was oxidised but still looked good for its age. The auto shop did a horrible job. They sanded and gouged and lost some of the trim pieces, never fixed the small rust spot on the inside of the doors and used up the entire gallon of paint. They tried to do some touch up with another color and it is visible in the sunlight from like 5-10 feet. do a search under my name to see some pics. I really wanted to go up there and kick the guy in the nads and take his paint gun from him. My advise to you is find a shop that knows how to use the water based paint or find another line of paint products. I've since gotten more paint and used a touch up gun to paint a few pieces my self and it really wasnt that bad. I wouldnt even consider myself an amatuer painter. be sure to thin the paint the proper amount, turn the air way up, and spray it on very very lightly. several coats will fill in. I love the colors but Im not sure if it was worth the hassle.

Rick
p.s. never go to a auto shop named Ray's when the owners name is mike. should have tipped me off.

PPG Omni, cheap but looks decent. I've used their single stage paint with good results. Not sure how many years of sitting outside it will hold up to, but it has a decent shine to it for not being a base/clear type of paint.

Chicago has a ton of Maaco and Earl Scheibs. I know there's one in Tinley Park a few blocks off of harlem that does good work. I think it's a Maaco chain store. For around $500-600 you can get a good job from them. They do them as cheap as $200 but I'd step it up a bit even for an old daily driver.

Thanks for the info Scott. Do you think this water based paint with U235 will work? Check out the pic of this 6 step system> This paint glows on its own.

Attachments

• DVC00036.JPG
    DVC00036.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 40
  • DVC00098.JPG
    DVC00098.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 28
Back