Clutch / Aluminim flywheel pairings

Loun

Im new to SC's and doing the whole do I get a spec clutch or a centerforce DF clutch thing.. I have read a ton of different posts here and it seems that people just got back and forth so its hard to decide lol.

My question is a little bit different though, I didnt see a centerforce aluminum flywheel listed on their site for a 91 Super coupe, I do see the Spec one, there isnt anything different about the flywheels correct? I would be able to use a spec flywheel and a centerforce clutch or is there anything different on the mating surface that would make one better than the other?

If anyone wants to chime in on a clutch recommendation I would love it. I will be driving the car on the street and strip. I dont mind a firmer pedal, sometimes I do drive in moderate traffic though but not daily. The mods my car will likely end up with are everything short of a new super charger and cracking the motor open to do cams. It will have the exhaust dont with headers, and a 10% pulley. If I decide to crack the motor and upgrade the charger I will be ok with having to buy a new clutch at that point.

These are the clutches I was kicking around:
Spec Stg 2
Centerforce II
Centerforce DF

For use with the Spec Aluminum Flywheel unless someone has a Centerforce part number.

Thanks!

-Lou

I run a Spec aluminum flywheel and a Centerforce DF clutch. No problems. I've heard and seen too many drivetrain breakage problems with the Spec 3 clutch but understand the Spec 2 is a really good clutch.

I've got the spec II with aluminum spec flywheel. Nice clutch, firm pedal, good workout for the leg.

Thanks guys :) Much like the other posts lol it comes down to really people liking both, and it seems like the power range yours cars are in is really where id like to get mine and not much further so it seems like both the Centerforce DF clutch and the Spec stage II will be fine for the power im looking to put down.

I guess part will depend on the price and availability now. Do either of you have a list of mods anywhere that you have done to your cars?

Thanks again I will try to find part numbers, I need to order something this week, I just drove the car for the first time and as soon as it started making boost the clutch would slip. So cant take it anywhere until I get something to install.

I just got off the phone with Larry an application and sales guy at Centerforce. I learned a lot about their clutches and when I told him the application and started asking about an aluminum flywheel and if they made one. He said that an aluminum flywheel would hurt the performance on the street and the strip of our cars because they dont make enough low end torque. He added that in their testing the only place he would recommend using an aluminum flywheel would be in road racing applications.

Now I read on here that an aluminum flywheel actually would drop like .5 seconds off the quarter mile time of a stock SC... Im trying to decide if I should get both at once (more costly but im only pulling everything apart once) or if Larry is correct. Im sure you guys have personal experience with these.. what have you noticed for gains in quarter mile times? Or if you can point me in the direction of a good resource on this.

-Lou

Don't have enough low end torque? Baloney! We've got low end torque out the wazzuu! Low end torque is our middle name!:D He just doesn't know.:rolleyes: The torque curve on my dyno goes straight up at 2200 rpm. Check out my member page for my mod list. My dyno chart is in the top SC's list and on my myspace page.

larry doesn't know what a SC tbird is. He's probably thinking a 4.6 with a vortec or something. The stock SC has the most torque at low RPM, that's what makes a lightweight clutch and flywheel such a perfect option for us.

The only reason that I've heard from people to consider sticking with a steel flywheel is to help with the launch, causing the engine to take slightly more time to spin up, helping hold off wheel spin. For a casual racer that makes sense. If you intend to race more often, you can prevent wheel spin from driving the car. (I don't pretend to be able to do that myself...yet)

At the shoot out my car make 262.9 hp and 370 torque on an internally stock engine. I have an aluminium flywheel and centerforce clutch. All I have are bolt ons on this engine. I find that I have to rev up more during launch and it feels different to drive compared to a stock car I drove today but I also ran a 13.88 so my times are not suffering from the lighter clutch and it seems to rev smoother through all gears.( I also have an sfi approved bhj and 4" aluminium driveshaft and 3.55 gears) If you check my member page it gives a list just ignore the internal engine parts as they have not made it on the car yet.
John

Back