ABS pump (accumulator) won't shut off???

RedFox

Drove home tonight and everything seemed fine. Went to go out at 9:00pm and I hear an electrical motor running under the hood. It appears to be the M/C accumulator and it won't shut off. I disconnected/reconnected the battery, pumped the brakes a few times but to no avail. My battery was almost fully drained, enough that I couldn't start the car.:(

Has anybody encountered this?

Den

Relay

I had a stuck relay once, the pump ran continuously until the thermal cut out stopped the motor, it cooled down, and started pumping again until the battery was dead. The pump motor relay contacts had stuck together.
Pete

Yes....your ABS Pump Motor Relay has welded its contacts closed. Should be on the passenger side firewall...brown based relay. Do a search on the board. I think Sorenson SP 120 is the aftermarket replacement.

Thanks for your reply Pete. What's the solution to this? Am I going to have the replace the entire pump/master cylinder assembly?

Did a search and found a 2002 posting from Ed.

Is this information still valid? Ed also mentions the ABS power relay. What does it do?

"The ABS power relay, which will probably have an original stamping of something like E3TB 13A025 A1A, the replacement number has changed a few times ... it's now F8PZ 14N135 CA, which will probably look slightly different than the original, and the dealer will sell it under a Motorcraft #, DY-866. A DY-864 could be used as well. The other relay is the ABS pump motor relay, right beside the other I believe, a brown and black relay, should be stamped something like E7LB 8Z658 AA, replacement number is E7LY 8Z658 A, and if the dealer soesn't have that on the shelf, a DY-865 can be used in it's place.?

You guys are great. Thanks for your help.:D

EVERYTHING Fast Ed says is valid. I was giving you the aftermarket replacement. Heck your local parts store might even know the correct relay.

The ABS Power Relay provides power to the ABS Computer. The ABS Pump Motor Relay provides power to the ABS Pump Motor and is picked up by the Anti-Lock Pressure Switch mounted on the drivers side of the Hydraulic Actuator Assembly. Possible the switch is stuck (very doubrful and not common...usual failure mode is the contacts corrode and the switch contacts don't make good electrical contact) but you could always find and rap lightly the relay and see if the contacts part and the motor stops.

Duffy,
I wasn't doubting Ed at all but was just wondering if the part numbers were still valid or were still available from Ford.

Prior to this my ABS light was on (ABS not working) but the brakes still worked fine. Now I'm wondering if the other sensor the black one (ABS power relay) could be the issue????

You may have other issues but they aren't the reason the pump motor is not shutting off. If you have a amber anti lock warning light....get the codes read. Much faster than easter egging a problem. I would assume the Motorcraft numbers are still good. They don't change that often.

Denis,

Which car is having the problem? My old one? Check the spare parts bins. I know you've got spare wiring harnesses in those bins somewhere, and in fact the relay(s) you need may be there. If not, then they may be in the bucket of loose hardware, etc. that I have here in the garage. Unfortunately, I am not likely to get a chance to look through that bucket for about another two weeks now.

Let me know if I can help beyond that.

Best regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,
No, I just took my white one out of storage and I blew one of the main fuses and now this relay. I was just saying to my neighbour how it had been great in the last 2 years... Not saying that anymore.:D

I took a look at the bins but haven't done an inventory yet. Hope to do that before year end. I would much rather use those spare parts, so I'll take a look tomorrow night.

If you find anything in your garage that you think may be useful, please put it aside. I'm sure we'll meet for a few brews soon.

Thank you for the offer.

Denis

Hi guys,
I took a look in my bins and didn't have one so I ordered one from Ford. I installed the ABS pump motor relay last night and it works like a champ.

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

It's great when things work out as expected.:D (Not always the case with these cars)

Denis

Yes the light is still on but that a seperate issue that was already there. I'll investigate that next time I take it in for service. Brakes work fine, just don't have ABS.

Picked the relay up and threw it in this afternoon, fixed all my problems :D
Thanks for the right post at the right time buddy!

The best and most helpful group of people anywhere are found right here.:)

I'm glad it worked for you too.:D

Back