What the hell happened?!?! Update.

Tory Smith

To my blower. I was driving tonight and heard the sc belt explode. popped the hood and saw this... What now. It is a 90 SC. I must have a ton of horse power... ha ha.

l_9a71fae63c24547df955437b4651176b.jpg

l_18ce14ac21e3ce05853a3149c173e4b7.jpg

Geocities... I shoulda known.

Updated...

Opened the charger and looks freakin beautiful. had oil in it, rotors spin freely.... But the input shaft is deffenitly trashed. Here is my theory... ha ha. outer bearing heats up and softens the shaft causing it to bend.... It did not break but bent.

Here are pics.

l_3a74868a961039361ac8ba0989ba6abb.jpg

l_67cf3962f8fe5748fce0bd874cc94d6d.jpg

l_b9c1b6927a1d0c547ae7cb29ee1eb59d.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see your pics but I broke a belt when a pulley was not aligned correctly. It kept fraying the inside of the belt, then one night it just exploded. I found huge sections of my belt wrapped on the inside lip of my jackshaft pulley. When you replace it, spin all the pulley's associated to make sure no shrapnel got caught in between!

My problem was my blower pulley.

Chris

Looks like you locked up rotors and the shaft bent in front of the nose bearing. Never seen that before. Remove the top off the blower and look inside to see what if anything might be stuck in the rotors. Only other thought is a siezed bearing

Ken

Ken

Well...it looks like its time for an upgrade. That blower is toast. Either the front bearing or the rotors locked up. I would guess it was out of fluid since it does not look like it was spewing on the front of the SC. Need an upgradedd blower, top, TB, and inlet? I can hook a brutha up.

Chris

Looks like you locked up rotors and the shaft bent in front of the nose bearing. Never seen that before. Remove the top off the blower and look inside to see what if anything might be stuck in the rotors. Only other thought is a siezed bearing

Ken

Ken

I was thinking that. But I noticed in a pic of a disassembled charger that there is some sort of isolator between the input shaft and the gears for the rotors. I would have to think that that would have let go before the shaft woulda bent like that.

Here is a pic from spinningwheels-sc.com, of that isolator.

2a_1.jpg

Hopefully tonight I'm gonna pull the charger and give er a look.

My guess is you will find the front bearing in the snout just behind the seal froze up bending the shaft. Ony reason the bearing would freeze up is lack of oil. My guess is if you remove the snout like in the picture and your rotors turn freely you will only have to find a snout from somone to replace yours. I might even have the snout off my old blower if you need one

Ken

I wouldn't say I was excited about opening it up. But I am very very curious. I have Replaced the oil in the past. But who knows, It could be dry.

I am just amazed that it would cause that much damage. Maybe If I had a cog pulley system then I could understand. But it seems that the belt woulda let go before doing this much damage. plain nasty!

My guess is you will find the front bearing in the snout just behind the seal froze up bending the shaft. Ony reason the bearing would freeze up is lack of oil. My guess is if you remove the snout like in the picture and your rotors turn freely you will only have to find a snout from somone to replace yours. I might even have the snout off my old blower if you need one

Ken

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind... I would love to upgrade if my pickup didn't need a new engine.:mad: Sometimes I think I should sell all my old shtuff and just buy a new truck and a new car.... But how much fun would that be??...

its cause your blinker fluid was too low man:D..

yeah sorry about that it is something to be proud of!! hang it in garage!, keep us posted and with pics! we all need pics!

-Tony-

Well if you end up needing a new blower, I have my stock one. I just cleaned and resealed it back up on Monday. Only thing I didn't reseal or take apart at all was the inlet plenum. It's good to go with just 82,000 miles on it. Power coating is not holding up too well on the snout is the only problem with it.

Chris

Last edited:
why is it taking you so long to sell your crap. What you got and how much? just post it in the thread for the world to see!

It has been for sale for a long time in the "for sale" section. I got the blower about the time that the MPIII came on the market (day or so after I got it in the mail I think). I had also purchased the inlet to make it work with the older cars. I also have the 70mm t-body to go with it and possibly the MAF. I dont want to seperate them though, but if all I have left is the SC...then I will put it on my Bronco.

Now...back to our regularly scheduled thread about this guys broken blower.

I seriously doubt there was fluid in it. Look at how dry it is in the pic. If it had come apart at speed with that going on, there would be blower juice on the engine.

Chris

What's that smell?

I seriously doubt there was fluid in it. Look at how dry it is in the pic. If it had come apart at speed with that going on, there would be blower juice on the engine.

Chris

If the blower juice let loose under the hood, people for miles around would be gagging and wondering, "What's that horrid smell?" LOL

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Back