abs light on how to find the code

mywhite89

My 89 sc intermittently has an ABS light that comes on and stays on. My belief is that I have a sensor that is bad, because it started acting up on a rainy day. I see the abs port next too the eec port. how does one retrieve codes from the abs port.

I have a eec scanner, don't know if I can use it on the abs port though.

Last edited:
ABS codes require special software so a scanner set up for ABS is a must.Some scanners have special cartriges for ABS a lot dont. Dont bother to go to Autozone to have it scanned they cant I know I worked there .Find a local mechanic and pay him to run the codes before you throw parts at the car. You will save money in the long run. Good Luck

ABS light

I had mine read by the local Ford Dealer. Cost me $40, but the pinpointed the problem exactly, aproblem in the wiring to the main solenoid valve. Turned ou to be a poor wire contact inside the connector. Was $40 well spent.
Gerry

Well I took mine to the ford dealer friday. Could not find a code stored. I believe the problem may be related to a speed sensor since the problem first occured when I took the car out on a wet day. Guess I'll figure this one out in the spring.

My light went away when I changed my ABS relay. Cost me $30 from Ford if I remember correctly, but it did take them a week of searching to find one.

The head tech at ford told me they had some problems with the relays on those cars. If the problem persists I will just replace the relay for peace of mind. I knew it was getting ugly over at ford when the car moved from technician to technician until I talked to their lead man. He actually seemed to be quite familiar with the brake system setup on the car.

ABS light

Should have thrown a code if a sensor was bad. Are you sure he used the right code reader. Ford uses the old STAR reader. The Dealer I went to here had to search their code reader archives to find one, he said it hadn't been used in 10 years or more. Also the ABS connector for reading those codes on an '89 is in the trunk on the right side behind the liner.
Gerry

Should have thrown a code if a sensor was bad. Are you sure he used the right code reader. Ford uses the old STAR reader. The Dealer I went to here had to search their code reader archives to find one, he said it hadn't been used in 10 years or more. Also the ABS connector for reading those codes on an '89 is in the trunk on the right side behind the liner.
Gerry

they had the trunk opened, this was new information to me.

Intermittent codes are often related to a wheel sensor. The problem is identifying which one when you can't read a code. You might want to try and clean them as well as check each sensor ring for damage as a clue to what might be causing your problem.

were you pulling any codes? Were you having the intermittent ANTILOCK light coming on as I was?

No I wasn't sorry, the light was on since i got the car but never turned off and came back on. Just always on and i asked a question about a wierd humming sound i was getting from the car when in neutral and turned out to be related to the ABS light and a bad relay. I asked about it earlier and Duffy pretty much fixed it for me when he told me:

It is a aymptom of your ABS Pump Relay sticking closed. What is happening is you start the car the pump motor runs and continues to run until you lift the internal relief valve in the ABS Hydraulic Actuator. That is the noise you are hearing...the relief lifted. The motor will run for about 10 minutes...then trip on thermal overload until it cools then start running again.

Replace the relay. Also possible your Anti Pressure Switch is sticking but MUCH less likely.

No I wasn't sorry, the light was on since i got the car but never turned off and came back on. Just always on and i asked a question about a wierd humming sound i was getting from the car when in neutral and turned out to be related to the ABS light and a bad relay. I asked about it earlier and Duffy pretty much fixed it for me when he told me:

I hope that will fix my problem...sounds just like yours)

Back