Shattered my M5R2..

92bird

Got into just a little wheelhop, stabbing it in 2nd gear from about a 2,500 rpm roll, and something literally sounded like it exploded in the transmission. I mean, it barely hopped, like 3 times, and in 2nd gear no less...

The output shaft is intact, and the car will move a little back and forth, but then the trans locks so hard it will chirp the tires. I gave it some gas and forced it off the road so I didn't get hit by a car.. It did move but bucked and grinded the whole 50 ft I moved it, chirping the tires every so often.

All this powershifting at the track earlier this summer, and wheel hop on drag radials finally caught up to me. Honestly, I think drag radials are no good for 5 speeds. Need something with a softer wall.

Its not the rear diff, because it will coast smoothly in neutral.

I have a '95 M5R2 just waiting to be rebuilt, and also just picked up a good '93 M5R2 at the junkyard yesterday for $100. Ironically, I was on my way to help my friend pull the motor out of a junkyard SC. So we just yanked the engine and trans and they gave us a deal.

Any guesses on what broke?

Jeramie

Last edited:
Tough break man. Good thing you found a replacement. It's hard to tell what may have broken but I wonder if the 3/4 gear shift rod broke leaving it in 3rd gear when you hit 2nd. We've had several M5's in the area break the shift rods at the detents and get stuck in 3rd. I talked to a Mickey Thompson tech rep last summer and he indeed confirmed that we should only use bias ply ET Streets and not Drag Radials with 5 speeds.

I believe I was the first one to make this statement about bias ply tires and 5spds some years ago. I've been preaching this for years and some people still hesitate to listen. ;) I have also found that as street tires wear they are more inclined to hop.

What sucks about 5-speed SC's is you can't get traction with street tires, but you can't drive all over on et street bias slicks. Sure they have a dot number but are you really going to drive it everyday with a bias tire? Run down the highway with it?

I'd run drag radials but I wouldn't drive really aggressively with it on the street, but it'd be nice to be able to get on it about 25-30 and not go sideways.

I used to know a guy who did just that. He drove around on ET Streets all the time looking for street races. He got caught in the rain one night and miraculously didn't hit anything before he finally stopped spinning around in circles.:rolleyes:

What sucks about 5-speed SC's is you can't get traction with street tires, but you can't drive all over on et street bias slicks. Sure they have a dot number but are you really going to drive it everyday with a bias tire? Run down the highway with it?

I'd run drag radials but I wouldn't drive really aggressively with it on the street, but it'd be nice to be able to get on it about 25-30 and not go sideways.

Not at all. Get some decent street tires and don't wear them down to the wear bars. I run BFG KDW's on the XR7 and while it will still spin them on the street I have no trouble hanging with pretty much anything out there on the street. Spinning a little every know and then is a good thing, it saves parts. Good tires won't wheel hop like mad unless you are doing something stupid in the first place. Another reason to run 3.08's. ;)

I was wondering why my car will barely spin if i floor it in first gear and only get a little chirp going into second with 225/60/16 General Exclaims. I've run 12.80's at 107mph so I have the power to do it.

I've never chirped the tires going into third. NOT EVEN ONCE.

Maybe I have the answer. Worn out factory shocks=90/10's. Great for traction in a 5 speed!!

I was wondering why my car will barely spin if i floor it in first gear and only get a little chirp going into second with 225/60/16 General Exclaims. I've run 12.80's at 107mph so I have the power to do it.

I've never chirped the tires going into third. NOT EVEN ONCE.

Maybe I have the answer. Worn out factory shocks=90/10's. Great for traction in a 5 speed!!

I don't know because my old 90 sc was like that even with the 3.27s it really didn't spin them all that much unless I forced it like dumping the clutch. It had OEM replacement shocks with under 30k on them. I got my tires to chirp third at the track which doesn't say much because I ran a 15.4@94

Back