Supercharger snout questions???

Bacondoggy

:eek:My question is about is of the snout of the supercharger. as it may have nothing to do with how crappy my car is running (missing very bad at low rpm's), I noticed ALOT of greasy/oily residue particuarly on the lower side of the snout. If it was just duxt, I would assume it is from the belt (it is old and comming apart and needs replaced). Does this mean my seal on the SC is leaking possibly? I currently have the charger from my old 89 SC on it (had like 200k), I want to put the 91 charger back on it (has the 10% OD pulley on it as well), but I run into 2 problems - #1 I want a belt that is slightly tighter to prevent slippage, and since I foolishly unbolted the snout from the 91's charger, I need new supercharger fluid. Also, the one supercharger actually has play in the snout and the other doesn't. What I mean is if you put a piece of wood between the rotors, and turn the pulley clockwise, one gives alittle bit as you twist it clockwise, the other does not...

IMG_1565.jpg

Probably needs a new seal, but that much residue isn't much to worry over.
When it leaks you'll see it drip and collect on top of the intake.

And as far as the "play" in the rotors, 89's (could be more years) had a solid coupler in the snout. The other on has the spring loaded coupler. It's normal.

Back