Alternator Removal 1995 Sc

KEVINV

Greetings,
This afternoon i thought i would replace my dead alternator with a powermaster 200amp.Is there any tricks to get at the nut that holds the battery to alt.hot cable(it appears to be #6awg)Also,the lower bolt wont clear the intercooler.though,it seems to be backed out enough to clear the alt.Has anyone been through this that could share their learning curve?thanks to all!

took me 5 minutes on my 93sc , i dont know if 95 is diifferent though.
loosen belt tension remove alt to batt cable , it was real easy with a socket (forgot size) then remove bolt holding alt. wiggle and play with the alt until it clears the ic

what i had to do to get at the rear alt.mtg bolt was i had to remove the coil pack which has 3 mtg.bolts.1 is on top in plain view.The 2 lower bolts you cant get out without removing the upper ic tube.make sure you dismount it from its mtg.bracket.turns out to be alot of work to replace an alternator,not to mention ic tube has to be resealed.hopefully info will help the next guy out. interesting enough i have a hayes manual which doesnt even cover the removal of the SC alternator.

If the bottom bolt is touching the IC it is clear. I removed the back bolt years ago so I don't remember if I removed the tube or not. Either way, if you don't install the back bolt then you'll never need to remove the tube again to replace the alt.

what i had to do to get at the rear alt.mtg bolt was i had to remove the coil pack which has 3 mtg.bolts.1 is on top in plain view.The 2 lower bolts you cant get out without removing the upper ic tube.make sure you dismount it from its mtg.bracket.turns out to be alot of work to replace an alternator,not to mention ic tube has to be resealed.hopefully info will help the next guy out. interesting enough i have a hayes manual which doesnt even cover the removal of the SC alternator.

You can change the Alternator without removing the upper IC tube. The first time I did it, I removed mine. The second time, I tried to do it without removing it and figured it out.

You have to unbolt the coil pack. There should be 4 bolts on top of the coil pack that you can remove that will allow you to move it out of the way. This will allow you to get to the lower bolt in the back of the Alternator. The top four bolts should allow you to remove the coil pack from the bracket it is mounted to. It sounds like you removed the whole bracket.

The front lower bolt on the Alternator just needs to be pulled back to the intercooler (as was mentioned). That lower rear bolt on the Alternator is a real pain to loosen and tighten up. Once everything is disconnected you can remove the Alternator.

This is from memory of doing it about 6 months ago, but you have to rotate the bottom (where the front bottom bolt goes through) left or right and this will allow you to rotate the Alternator where you can get it out. The biggest issue with mine was that the bottom section of mine was very tight and it took a lot of work to free it up. It also took a lot of work to get it back in so I could get that front lower bolt back in.

I will do a write up and take pictures this weekend to show how to do it. I am feeling motivated I guess. :p

Matt

That long lower bolt

I changed the alternator on my '90 SC recently.

I go ahead and take the upper IC tube and the coil pack off so there's lots of room to get at the back of the alternator.

To get that long alternator bolt out, I loosen the two nuts on the lower IC tube at the IC so the IC will move back on the bellows just enough for the bolt to come completely out.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Back